What's new

Is it worth buying the new SP4 type cover to use on my SP3?

OP
K

kiwigirl

Maybe im the only one who loved the old one? But like someone mentioned, it never felt like a real laptop keyboard.

I hated the touchpad and if i type long stuff on it, the keys overheat and get mushy

ChiGGz

The old SP3 type cover is a little cramped but I got used to that pretty quickly and hasn't really been a bother at all. I'd like to upgrade to the new one but I don't want two type covers. Not sure what I could get for my old one if I put it up for sale.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The old SP3 type cover is a little cramped but I got used to that pretty quickly and hasn't really been a bother at all. I'd like to upgrade to the new one but I don't want two type covers. Not sure what I could get for my old one if I put it up for sale.
If you had it encased in Plexiglas you could use it for a cheese tray. ;)

OP
K

kiwigirl

Doubt anyone would want to buy a used keyboard unless it was gently used, mostly for hygenic reasons.

Youd get $40 maybe.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Well been using it and cant say that Im really digging it. The keys actually have more travel than the SP3 KB. Not a lot but its noticable.

And bigger touch pad but its not anymore responsive, it still lags. lol bigger isnt always better. Sure its glass and smoother but not worth the money just to have glass touchpad lol.

I can type faster on the old keyboard. Will give it another day but so far its not worth the money.

And why doesnt the keys light up anymore from hovering your fingers over it? It did on the SP3. Now you have to press the key. Dumb move on MS's part.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keys on my Sp3 typecover don't light up when I hover over them (I just double checked to make sure I hadn't missed that feature but nope the backlight only comes on when I press a key or touch the toucbpad). Maybe you had a special one, if so you should keep it :) The fact it's backlit at all is a great thing to be honest, many large laptops don't have back lit keys (we have an ASUS touchscreen laptop that doesn't).

Has to be said it did take a while to adjust to typing on this type cover so I'm thinking it'll take a while to adjust back to typing on one with more space between so maybe give it some time. Is the new one quieter? The noisy sound my current type cover makes is really the worst thing about it for me, quite loud and hollow sounding. Very distinctive sound too I can tell the sound of a Surface pro 3 (or even Surface 2/3) typecover anywhere!)

question729

Keys on my Sp3 typecover don't light up when I hover over them (I just double checked to make sure I hadn't missed that feature but nope the backlight only comes on when I press a key or touch the toucbpad). Maybe you had a special one, if so you should keep it :)

I too always thought the keyboard lit up when I hovered. I just checked and must have always accidentally rubbed the touchpad when sticking my hand over the keyboard.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Keys on my Sp3 typecover don't light up when I hover over them (I just double checked to make sure I hadn't missed that feature but nope the backlight only comes on when I press a key or touch the toucbpad). Maybe you had a special one, if so you should keep it :) The fact it's backlit at all is a great thing to be honest, many large laptops don't have back lit keys (we have an ASUS touchscreen laptop that doesn't).

Has to be said it did take a while to adjust to typing on this type cover so I'm thinking it'll take a while to adjust back to typing on one with more space between so maybe give it some time. Is the new one quieter? The noisy sound my current type cover makes is really the worst thing about it for me, quite loud and hollow sounding. Very distinctive sound too I can tell the sound of a Surface pro 3 (or even Surface 2/3) typecover anywhere!)

Didnt realize it till you just brought it up now. Yes the old keyboard is infact noisy! The keys get noisy over time. Big different from when I first got it thats forsure.

Touchpad, maybe its just me but its not anymore responsive than the old one. Its bigger and thats nice, but thats it.

The keys im still getting used to it. Whats to say though that the keys on the new pad wont get noisy after a year?

I do like the volume keys, print screen buttons though.

OP
K

kiwigirl

Maybe Im the only one but I just use the touchscreen for everything and never use the touchpad. The touchpad cannot compare to a touch interface for anything.

ScottyS

I can't recommend it enough. Stiffer, less bounce, better keyboard spacing, better key travel - AND THE FINGERPRINT READER IS TO DIE FOR!
Does the fingerprint reader on SP3 work to log you in to web sites that require password, or just Windows logon?