What's new

Is it worth spending $300,00 more?

davehries

Is it worth spending $300 more?

Hi All,
I need your advice. I just purchase a Surface Pro (1) 128 GB for $680.00 from Best Buy (new). Would it be worth the extra $300.00 to upgrade to the Surface Pro 2 instead. I have not opened the box yet. I know that the kickstand is improved on the Pro2 and the CPU and GPU are better, but are they $300.00 better? :confused: I have a few days in which to change my mind and get the Pro2.
Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

Wayne Orwig

I would stick with the Pro 1 for that much money.

I don't think the Pro 2 battery life is THAT much better. And $120 of the $300 would be better spent on an external battery pack anyway IMHO.

dougpaw57

I would stick with the Pro 1 for that much money.

I don't think the Pro 2 battery life is THAT much better. And $120 of the $300 would be better spent on an external battery pack anyway IMHO.

Actually, I bought a Surface Pro the weekend it came out last February. I used it for six months but the battery life was terrible. I sold it and bought a Sony Duo 11, but that was too big for what I needed. I really liked the Surface form-factor and I just bought a Surface Pro 2 last week. I believe the claims that it gets 75% better battery life are true, it's a much better machine that doesn't need to be plugged in after 3.5-4 hours.

drolem

The answer mostly depends on whether you want to use it a lot from battery, or not. The same battery last much longer in the Pro 2, but that doesn't make much of a difference if you use it mostly from AC power.

OP
D

davehries

Actually, I bought a Surface Pro the weekend it came out last February. I used it for six months but the battery life was terrible. I sold it and bought a Sony Duo 11, but that was too big for what I needed. I really liked the Surface form-factor and I just bought a Surface Pro 2 last week. I believe the claims that it gets 75% better battery life are true, it's a much better machine that doesn't need to be plugged in after 3.5-4 hours.

Thanks for the reply. Just one question: Given that you have owned both models and aside from the battery issue, how would you rate the performance, screen and ease of use of the two?

dougpaw57

Thanks for the reply. Just one question: Given that you have owned both models and aside from the battery issue, how would you rate the performance, screen and ease of use of the two?

The screen looks identical, both were/are great. I haven't used the alternate kickstand position yet because I haven't travelled or left the house with it yet. I've read that the Pro 2 has faster video, but I don't notice it. I'm not a gamer, so maybe I don't tax the system that hard. The biggest thing for me has to be the fact that I don't have to plug it in almost every time I use it.

OP
D

davehries

The screen looks identical, both were/are great. I haven't used the alternate kickstand position yet because I haven't travelled or left the house with it yet. I've read that the Pro 2 has faster video, but I don't notice it. I'm not a gamer, so maybe I don't tax the system that hard. The biggest thing for me has to be the fact that I don't have to plug it in almost every time I use it.

Thanks. That is the kind of info that I was looking for. I have decided to get the Pro 1. It should serve my needs quite nicely.

I appreciate everyone for their input into my decision. This is a great forum.