What's new

Is S6 worth upgrade

Hi

I,ve had a surface pro 3 now since 2014 , its the i5 8gb ram 256gb hd running windows 10 pro

The machine still runs perfect has had no issues with it although the batterys not great on it at the min around 4-5 hours off a full charge

ive kept a keen eye on surface releases and pondered upgrading but theres never been that much of a upgrade to sway me to do it

i love the surface range and when i upgrade it will be surface , i work offshore and travel alot so the surface suits me perfect

What am asking is apart from battery life being abit better what else am i getting

Also if you were in my position would you upgrade to the 6 now or wait for the 7

Ive heard instead of a upgrade there will be a dramatic re design for next upgrade does any one know or heard any similar rumours

Cheers Sean

yonghong

Waiting for next gen, SP6 doesn’t even have USB-c port, if my SP3 was not dead, I wouldn’t buy SP6.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro

Turbo4AWD

You could wait, there is a good chance this year another Pro will be released and yes, support for USB C will be nice, but none of my current devices support it and my Surface Pro 6 is not my main device either so this had little weight in my decision making.

What DID make the sale for me was the "longer than an old Surface 3 (non pro) battery life", NO FAN noises in an i5, AND the faster SSD speeds than previous versions. My Surface 3 DID have a cracked screen, but I would still use it every now and then because it was portable and easy to carry around, but the performance was starting to suffer so those two things helped in making me decide it's time to finally buy a Pro. Just in time for the Pro 6.

I got the keyboard just in case, but I mostly use my Surface Pro 6 without the keyboard. Any typing I need to do can be done with the split onscreen keyboard or the full size onscreen keyboard so I really didn't NEED the keyboard, but it helps in the few moments when I need to type A LOT. So I will say that if you have anything older than the Pro 4 (and in some cases that is enough reason to upgrade) then YES, it is definitely worth upgrading to the Surface Pro 6. USB C be damned.

BubbaUK

I've decided to hang until the next version. My SPro3 is getting decidedly cranky (odd battery cut-outs, the screen digitiser is failing in a vertical strip), but powered from the mains & using it with keyboard & mouse it is still fine. The thing that irks more than anything with the SPro6 is that it comes with Windows 10 Home, so it adds another £100 to the cost to get Pro. Also, the best value bundles I can find are from the Microsoft UK Store for the i5/8Gb/256Gb version, but they seem permanently "out of stock"!

OP
S

sean_scouser

Hi Bubba

I ended upgrading to pro 6 as battery likes pretty important to me as I work offshore and do a lot of travelling were its handy to have good battery to watch series etc when stuck in transports etc for long time

very impressed with s6 to be fair , bit disappointed it dosent show battery left in mins and hours any more but battery seems miles better and surface just feels more responsive etc

if I was just using my surface with power lead a lot of might of waited but with all the travel its worth me upgrading

I got mine from currys / pc world got it next day delivered mate , the newer keyboards are also a lot better too

BubbaUK

Yes, if you're dependant on the battery that's the right choice. Did you go for the Alcantara keyboard?

Most of the time I'm usually near a power outlet, and I'm luck enough to have an HP Spectre x360 to fall back on if I really need long battery life (though the Spro screen has the better aspect ration for what I need it for).

Just checked Currys, the Pro6 i5/128Gb + keyboard is very good value for £749, but also out of stock. Jumps to £1149 for i5/256Gb and no keyboard!!

On the Microsoft site, the i5/256Gb+ keyboard is £899, but still out of stock, unsurprisingly.

Turbo4AWD

no decided on the black one pal which is nice like

I got the i5 256gb black one

pc world thru in a 2tb 5yr cloud account free worth a 100 pound to as it was a business buy

Got a similar offering, but for 2 years from my local Microsoft Store. Congrats on getting 3 more years tho!

Fast-T

I got the black 256gb i5 version through BB Christmas special. Nothing I can't do with this little buddy. It feels faster than my i7 spectre x360 early 2018 model.
The fanless design is the most appealing and while it is not a i7, photo editing still feels snappy.
The only thing I'd do differently would be going for a 512GB SSD. I have a 165gb picture library residing on a 256GB Samsung evo microSD. The performance is bad loading pictures into the editing s/w or browsing through the library.
Otherwise, the i5 handles my Civilization VI and Lego starwars games without blinking.

Still undecided if I like battery life. I am using Flipboard and it sucks the battery. Looking for recommendations for a better news reader.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Turbo4AWD

I got the black 256gb i5 version through BB Christmas special. Nothing I can't do with this little buddy. It feels faster than my i7 spectre x360 early 2018 model.
The fanless design is the most appealing and while it is not a i7, photo editing still feels snappy.
The only thing I'd do differently would be going for a 512GB SSD. I have a 165gb picture library residing on a 256GB Samsung evo microSD. The performance is bad loading pictures into the editing s/w or browsing through the library.
Otherwise, the i5 handles my Civilization VI and Lego starwars games without blinking.

Still undecided if I like battery life. I am using Flipboard and it sucks the battery. Looking for recommendations for a better news reader.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

I use Flipboard as well, but haven't noticed battery life being sucked out. I even get to the end of my 3 favorite sections to where they can't load anymore articles. I'll have to try it out again sometime soon.