What's new

Is space storage on a computer really necessary anymore ?

orl2222

Don't presume that your requirements re universal.

If not for onboard storage, i'd be royally stuffed. I don't have any ability to use cloud services (and even when i have broadband, upload speeds in the UK are so abysmal for the vast majority that we still don't bother with cloud storage) and this is a mobile device. where is the sense in me spending money on something mobile if i have to cart around a bag of external harddrives in order to use it as i wish?
I have a i3 sp3, and I don't carry a ton of files with me, music files at 11 GB, and my office files amount to around 4 GB. The neat thing about the sp3 is the ability to use the USB3 port for storage. I bought a adaptor for using SSD drives that works great. I know SSD drives are alil expensive, but, here in the US prices are dropping. Also USB key drives are pretty cheap to buy.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a i3 sp3, and I don't carry a ton of files with me, music files at 11 GB, and my office files amount to around 4 GB. The neat thing about the sp3 is the ability to use the USB3 port for storage. I bought a adaptor for using SSD drives that works great. I know SSD drives are alil expensive, but, here in the US prices are dropping. Also USB key drives are pretty cheap to buy.

I am aware of this kind of possibility. But i did not buy a mobile device to have drives hanging off it and sitting in bags etc. I bought it so it could do what i need be it at home, or if i travel.

kristalsoldier

I am aware of this kind of possibility. But i did not buy a mobile device to have drives hanging off it and sitting in bags etc. I bought it so it could do what i need be it at home, or if i travel.

I agree! Of course, the working assumption is that there is always a reliable and fast connectivity available, which is not always a given globally. And, since I travel a lot, this matters to me.

kevinlevrone

My main concern is the storage. Nowadays, I do not feel like having a lot of storage is necessary on a computer. With the improvement of Cloud storage, External HDD up to 2to and so on, I think the computer should only welcome some basics programs and the rest should be stored away.

I don't think a 64GB SSD is a good investment if you plan to keep your tablet for more than 1 year.

A MicroSD could mitigate the problem but a large and reliable one will cost you like $50 (and I haven't seen a 100% reliable MicroSD until now) which puts the price difference to the 128GB SSD at $150 which is not a lot.

PS: don't count on the online storage options. Aside from backups, they are quite useless due to many factors, the first being the inconvenience of using it, and then being the widely fluctuating network speeds and data costs in different locations. Even the OneDrive with it's clever implementation is actually quite bad from my experience.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree! Of course, the working assumption is that there is always a reliable and fast connectivity available, which is not always a given globally. And, since I travel a lot, this matters to me.

I hate this current assumption that everyone now has everything. Heck, at university the library just ditched half the computers claiming everyone has a laptop so what's the point in them, what they don't tell you is they're incapable of keeping a wifi network functional making the laptop rather useless given that the entire university works with an online system, not one handwritten or printed item. All online, yet not any internet. Smart. And this cloud thing pisses me off.

kristalsoldier

I hate this current assumption that everyone now has everything. Heck, at university the library just ditched half the computers claiming everyone has a laptop so what's the point in them, what they don't tell you is they're incapable of keeping a wifi network functional making the laptop rather useless given that the entire university works with an online system, not one handwritten or printed item. All online, yet not any internet. Smart. And this cloud thing pisses me off.

Tell me about it!!! When traveling, I find that often the WIFI connections are not simply insecure but often non-existent. It then becomes a matter of tethering the SP3 to a data connection. This comes with its own set of problems in terms of speed and coverage etc. Recently, though, I have found that most good hotels in Asia offer free wifi (though some do charge and when they do it is very expensive). In Europe, hotels suck! Not very familiar with the state of affairs in America. Canada - at least Toronto - was not too bad. But this kind of spotty connectivity does not really work well if one has to access the "cloud" for access to files etc.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem with cloud storage, as said is that you have to have access to the cloud, or otherwise have space on the device to sync that stuff that you know you'll need access to. So I would think about what sort of space requirement you need for things you need regular access too and account for that in your purchase. It's most annoying knowing that something is in the cloud but not being able to get to it for one reason or another.

Though I have good 4G internet on my phone I still like to have local copies of things I need, it's also still a PITA waiting for onedrive to sync my onenote notebooks and a real issue when I'm somewhere I don't have net access and can't sync.... I therefore make sure I sync onenote on my phone and devices before I leave the house so that I know everything is up to date.

kristalsoldier

microSD card = infinite storage and they are no bigger than a finger nail.

True. But the question, I believe was whether one could rely on cloud storage in lieu of on-board storage. This reminds me, however, that I need to buy a 128GB card for my SP3 ASAP!!!

Mike OC

In terms of cloud storage specifically - I'm a student (medical) in the UK and I run my own business, and the I3 is perfectly fine for me. I store everything across OneDrive and Google Docs, and have never had any issues with connectivity, upload or download speeds - primarily wifi at school and in my places of work, and at home, and tethering to my 4g phone when no wifi available. I do have my most used OneDrive folders copied locally as a backup, and I believe there is the option to work offline with Google Doc files should I need to (never have). I also have a Micro SD inserted from an old tablet, but have not come anywhere near needing to use it. I keep my Surface lite, and it works for me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
microSD card = infinite storage and they are no bigger than a finger nail.

I've an excuse for everything :p sorry, it's infinately useful having a card in the device, but i've a hard enough time keeping track of various usb sticks, let alone finger nail size bits of plastic. I'll stick to fixed local storage thanks. Always worked in the past, why try and change it now :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With regards to using Cloud Storage, it is whether or not it will work in your circumstance, no one solution will work. I use an N-Tiered Solution, I have personal data that I want with me on my Micro SD Card (which I back up to my OneDrive), I use OneDrive Consumer and OneDrive for Business synching local files for current projects or interests, leaving the rest as Cloud Only.

I've traveled globally and have made use of the "Cloud" longer than most, I was part of the first small external beta group testing Mesh (which was the test bed for the foundation of Azure and OneDrive Consumer) back in 2006.

I've had good connectivity in Europe, North America, Asia and Africa, but I select my lodging based on Internet Connectivity.