What's new

Is the i3 Surface Pro 3 good enough for my needs...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you mean by quirkiness?
Quirkiness: most of the problems described on this site with Surface Pro's.
Run windows update and afterwards the processor it running at 30% for no reason. Display settings get scrambled and external displays are blank. Etc. Etc. general inconsistency... none of these problems are permanent and don't affect everyone or happen all the time. Quirkiness.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I have actually decided to return the i3 and I got the i5/4GB/128GB model. I have been struggling between the 4GB vs 8GB and i5 vs i7 for a while now. And, I have been struggling to find a tablet. Since I came to the conclusion that I am not going to buy a system for work (web development/design/graphic design and I figure if they want me to have a faster system, they are going to have to buy it for me or at least meet me half way on the price), and I am going to use it mostly for strictly a entertainment consumption tablet, that the i5/4GB/128GB was the sweet spot for me.

I also bought the new Microsoft mirror cast dongle. It seems to work really well up to 20 feet away. That eliminates a need for a display port adapter and an HDMI cable. I just thought I would throw that into the thread in case anyone was looking at it.

Am I right in assuming that the 4GB model will be fine for future tablet use? I mean, I don't see any time in the foreseeable future that tablet use and apps are going to run out of the 4GB of RAM...I think.

VickiFL

I also exchanged my i3 for the i5. I'm just surfing the web right now, playing Pandora in a browser, and here is my usage: (with One Note open as well)

upload_2014-11-17_13-9-51.png

compnovo

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

... Am I right in assuming that the 4GB model will be fine for future tablet use? I mean, I don't see any time in the foreseeable future that tablet use and apps are going to run out of the 4GB of RAM...I think.
Hopefully your experience will be like mine as I am VERY happy with that version. You'll be surprised how much "work" you can actually do with that configuration.

Hopefully your experience will be like mine as I am VERY happy with that version. You'll be surprised how much "work" you can actually do with that configuration.

You know, I have been working with a Core2Duo with 3GB of RAM for a while now at work. Anything is an upgrade from that and it actually rus Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver...often at the same time. So, I really don't know what I was worried about before when I was looking for something I could use at work, as well as the tablet lol.