What's new

Is the PTV3000 supposed to work now?

zicoz

Hi, I have a SP2, and a PTV3000, but my SP2 does not find a been ything when I am searching for it. As far as I have understood this has been a known issue, but is it supposed to work now?

CreativeLemming

I bought one yesterday, and can confirm that it works. The first thing I did was upgrade the PTV firmware, and also performed a hard reset while messing around with it to be on the safe side.
It does have some issues with discovery, usually solved by disabling then re-enabling WiFi on the SP2.
I had some teething troubles trying to get 1080p out of it, but this turned out to be a HDMI handshake issue, resolved by modifying my home theatre cabling.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
With the latest PTV3000 Firmware it does work, it is finicky occasionally and may require that the LTV gets rebooted or SP2 resets the Wireless...

manoroid

For some reason the only way I get this thing running every time is I have to turn WiFi off and on 3 times then it gets recognized. Am I the only one with this issue.

jollywombat

I have no issues with my PTV3000 with the latest firmware. Use it at home for movies, and at work for projecting presentations and network visio's. Never have to reset the wifi to get it to work, just tap charms, devices, and select the adapter. Great little product.

CrippsCorner

Is there still a lag? I really want to invest in either Miracast or Chromecast but I'm not sure the technology's quite there for fully replacing my HDMI cable...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is lag, its better. The use case is for Video Watching and Presentations. I also use it occasionally if I'm delivery Training a Virtually having the Lync Client with content on the Flat Panel TV and using my Surface for notes and IM.

CrippsCorner

Yeah, as I thought. It'll be great for using my Surface to cast to my TV for watching catch up television etc. but not so much for browsing on my computer monitor! :( hopefully one day.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think once the industry broadly adopts 802.11AC especially on the 5GHz range most if not all of the lag should be gone.