What's new

Is the RAM and Hard Drive Upgradable

omelet1978

Hi,

Was pleasantly surprised by the surface book. I was just wondering if you can upgrade the RAM and hard drive. My current thought is to get the I5 with a dedicated graphics card and a 256 hard drive and then upgrade it a little while later to 1 or 2 TBs and 16 gb of RAM.

Thanks!

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

Nobody knows for sure yet. However, the Book does use a more standard SSD format than the SP3 so it may be possible. We'll need to wait for teardowns or more extensive reviews.

If I had to guess I would have to say it would be very difficult if it's possible at all.

daniielrp

Welcome to the forum

Nobody knows for sure yet. However, the Book does use a more standard SSD format than the SP3 so it may be possible. We'll need to wait for teardowns or more extensive reviews.

If I had to guess I would have to say it would be very difficult if it's possible at all.

Yeh as the 'guts' are all still in the tablet section you'll probably need to (at the least) use a heat gun to melt the glue and then try and pry the screen without it breaking just to get a look inside.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeh as the 'guts' are all still in the tablet section you'll probably need to (at the least) use a heat gun to melt the glue and then try and pry the screen without it breaking just to get a look inside.
And since they made the "Display stack" thinner in the SP4 that screen is going to break when you get the prying picks anywhere near it. :)