What's new

Is the rumor of SB2 and SP5 real?

lovedingbao

I expect for the new generation of surface book and pro but if they would be released in next spring, it means that the new surface book i7 only exist for less than half a year. Is that possible ?

Orlbuckeye

I expect for the new generation of surface book and pro but if they would be released in next spring, it means that the new surface book i7 only exist for less than half a year. Is that possible ?

Yes I believe it's true as I think MS learned that most of the SB issues were caused by using the new released Intel processor. They are waiting for the Kaby lake to get battlefield tested.

jason10mm

I think they wanted a quick "win" in the face of Apple MacBook announcements, plus they want to condition folks for higher SB pricing. There really is no reason why the clipboard and the base of the SB should be so fixed other than to obscure a significant artificial price premium for the higher end models. I suspect MS will eventually decouple them and let you mix and match, this way they can innovate on both independently (for example, a thicker "gaming base" with a beefier graphics card and battery, the "travel base" that is as thin as possible without a graphics card, etc). Having an upgradeable base is the secret to success for the SB IMHO, it should allow you to stretch out the life of the device considerably as it can have graphic card, battery, and port refreshes while the clipboard stays the same.

ncameron

...I suspect MS will eventually decouple them and let you mix and match, this way they can innovate on both independently (for example, a thicker "gaming base" with a beefier graphics card and battery, the "travel base" that is as thin as possible without a graphics card, etc). Having an upgradeable base is the secret to success for the SB IMHO, it should allow you to stretch out the life of the device considerably as it can have graphic card, battery, and port refreshes while the clipboard stays the same.

I hope you're right; but good old-fashioned bureaucracy combined with the fact that the SB serial number is etched on, and related to, the base will mean that such flexibility will not be possible...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you're right; but good old-fashioned bureaucracy combined with the fact that the SB serial number is etched on, and related to, the base will mean that such flexibility will not be possible...

There is nothing to stop them from adopting a different method in future iterations.

Orlbuckeye

I think as long as they make the Surface the Book will be sold with the base and clipboard with the same serial number. It's different from the Pro as the keyboard is just a keyboard with the Pro.

Migi

Should Microsoft even bother releasing new Surfaces when it seems most of the existing ones are plagued with problems? It seems everyone on this forum has huge problems with their SP4/SB. If you listen to Paul Thurott or Brad Sams, their Surface Books are basically lemons. They put up with it because they love the form factor. I would not, I demand 100% reliability.

BearFlag

I think they wanted a quick "win" in the face of Apple MacBook announcements, plus they want to condition folks for higher SB pricing.

This is my biggest concern. The original surface book with 256GB and dGPU is priced under $1900 (i5 version). The i7 version with performance base is priced $2400. The SB 2 next year will definitely have a better processor and graphic card than the original surface book. Therefire given the price i7 SB with performance base now, I'm really concerned that all versions of the SB 2 with dGPU will be priced well over $2000.

Migi

If SB & SP continue to have such horrible reliability issues, MS will need a fire sale to get rid of the inventory.

Hot bag and BSOD a regular occurrence according to Paul Thurott.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If SB & SP continue to have such horrible reliability issues, MS will need a fire sale to get rid of the inventory.

Hot bag and BSOD a regular occurrence according to Paul Thurott.
Paul has a defective unit, but it helps his site not to exchange it....even Leo's is working well