What's new

Is the rumor of SB2 and SP5 real?

macmee

I have been asking them to make better battery life since the SP2, and since then battery life has only gotten worse since windows 10.

So who the heck knows what they will do. But if they improve battery and slap on tb3 that'd be great.

wynand32

Juts came across this thread, and I'm in need of a new machine. My SP4 is great, but I'm starting to work more outside of the office and I'm finding the SP4 to be less than optimal for long-form writing. So, I'm looking for a more traditional notebook form factor, and of course the SB is my first choice. And, I need the tax write-off, and so purchasing in 2016 would be best.

Of course, the idea of buying one now with the possibility of a spring release of the SB2 is daunting. It's hard to imagine that they'd release the SB2 so soon after Performance Base, and I do think waiting for Kaby Lake kinks to be worked out would be smart--and so a part of me thinks SB2 is more likely at 2017's October event.

I'd probably pop for a SB with Performance Base now, but man, it's a tough decision. Of course, one could also argue that it takes Microsoft six months to work out the bugs, and so it probably wouldn't make sense to buy an SB2 immediately in any case.

Grrr... There's just not another notebook that has the 3:2 screen format I've grown to love as a writer.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am writing this to you, @wynand32, from my Surface Book 1TB with Performance Base. The ever so slightly thicker base, better battery life, and 3000x2000 screen are perfect. I considered waiting, but I am glad I did not.

Niterider4

Early adopters of the SB got punished with a product that was buggy and unreliable (and contained hardware different from what was sent to product reviewers). I would be VERY reluctant to buy any new MS laptop until it has been thoroughly tested and properly reviewed by independent non-fanboy reviewers.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rumors are never real.

it means that the new surface book i7 only exist for less than half a year.
This rumor created by you is based on a false assumption. Fact: The SP3 released in June 2014 was not replaced just a few short months later in November 2014 but a whole 16 months later in October 2015. Fact2: several new models of the SP3 were released during it's lifetime and like that, the Surface Book with Performance Base is a new model of the original Surface Book not a new generation like Surface Book 2.

Microsoft does not operate on an annual clock like Apple except even Apple doesn't operate on a fixed annual release schedule if you note the iPads and Mac Books.

So your made up problem is all in your head, simple as that.

Last edited:

wynand32

I am writing this to you, @wynand32, from my Surface Book 1TB with Performance Base. The ever so slightly thicker base, better battery life, and 3000x2000 screen are perfect. I considered waiting, but I am glad I did not.

Thanks for the response. I decided to pick up an original Surface Book Core i5/8GB/256GB at Costco for $1499. I just couldn't justify spending $900 more because I really don't need the extra battery life or even a dGPU of any kind. For my needs, integrated graphics are fine and that should help with the original's battery life.

I will have Costco's 90-day return policy to make sure everything is stable. And that matters to me, which is why I've decided that I won't again buy any Microsoft hardware until they've worked out the kinks--I learned my lesson with my SP3 and SP4. So maybe I'll replace this one with a Surface Book 2 if it's as awesome as I'm expecting it to to be.

InspectHerGadget

I agree to proceed with caution on new Microsoft Products. They have a well earned reputation for failing to test and take care with their new product. A black lash from users is a healthy and sensible and totally predictable reaction to all this. The best way to find out about bugs is from forums like this.