What's new

is there a voice input keyboard? or swipe?

leofric

Hi, I am coming to this new sp3 from an android only usage. I love using the sp3 sans type cover but miss my voice typing from the nexus 10.

Is there such an ability here on this system to modify the keyboard? I.e. install a 3rd party one?

Or likewise, dopes swipe exist for this?

I can really only get voice searching on chrome which I have other issues with, but would like it for general purpose form entry too. I.e. a button on the kb I can press or something.

3rdly, is there a way to get the on screen kb to appear in desktop mode when you go to enter text somewhere, i.e. rename a file or enter a URL or interact with a form.

Thanks

Iain

Last edited:

cdf3

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd love to be able to use a keyboard with the features of Swype on my Surface Pro 3

ctitanic

Hi, I am coming to this new sp3 from an android only usage. I love using the sp3 sans type cover but miss my voice typing from the nexus 10.

Is there such an ability here on this system to modify the keyboard? I.e. install a 3rd party one?

Or likewise, dopes swipe exist for this?

I can really only get voice searching on chrome which I have other issues with, but would like it for general purpose form entry too. I.e. a button on the kb I can press or something.

3rdly, is there a way to get the on screen kb to appear in desktop mode when you go to enter text somewhere, i.e. rename a file or enter a URL or interact with a form.

Thanks

Iain

Go to Start screen, in the right charm, click in Search and look for Windows Speech Recognition.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It is possible that the Swype Style keyboard from Phone 8.1 will find its way onto the Windows Platform ....

riggi

I tried a swipe keyboard (I think it was touchpal) when I first got my original surface pro.
I found the screen / keyboard to big to be practical and I ended up having to move my hand in seemingly wildly exaggerated gestures and that typing with 2 hands seemed much more efficient and faster.
When I swipe on the phone my hand doesn't move much in terms of its position, the finger or pen can touch every letter just by wiggling around.

I've used Swype and now Swift Key Flow on the Note 1, 2 and 3 and love it. It's amazingly fast with the S Pen.

Typing on a phone you are going from 2 thumbs to a swipe motion, so most people are going to be faster.
But on a tablet, you are going from 8 fingers to a sweeping motion, which ended up being slower for me. If you type with 2 fingers on the tablet similar to typing on a phone, you may get better mileage from swiping on the tablet.

Klownicle

Just installed it. I like how I'm able to make the keyboard smaller for faster swiping.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to get the swipe function to work in the Metro version of Internet Explorer

Correct don't believe that's possible without using that toolbar they have.