What's new

Is there a way to check CPU temperature of SP2?

dannyshane

Hello, Ive searched "overheating" and docking etc and I see people stating their SP2 reaches such & such temperatures. How do you find out what temperature the CPU is at?

My SP2 gets pretty hot, but I cant tell if it's "too" hot or not.
I use it with a 'pluggable' dock that connects it to two 23 inch monitors. Would this cause it to overheat? What program are you using to check the CPU temperature? there are no apps in the store, and online Ive only found "coretemp", but it looks outdated as it talks about vista. I downloaded it but looks like it is packed with 3rd party crap. It wanted to install about 4 other ad programs etc. so I didn't install it.

Any advice is appreciated. thanks.

grumpy

I use hwinfo64. I really wouldn't worry about it overheating too much since it throttles the CPU at a "conservative" 80C. Of course, I wouldn't want it to run at 80C for hours on end.

tommo

Look for the standalone version of Core Temp which is also available on their site but requires you to look more closely. It's a zipped executable and no installation is necessary.

Core Temp has an option to display the CPU temperature as well as frequency and utilisation in the notification area, which is very useful if you want these information available at all times - as long as you are using desktop, that is.

guymalloc

I use Piriform's Speccy, has all the info at your fingertips about the whole system, 64bit, and temperatures in either degrees F or C.

jrapdx

Look for the standalone version of Core Temp which is also available on their site but requires you to look more closely. It's a zipped executable and no installation is necessary.

Core Temp has an option to display the CPU temperature as well as frequency and utilisation in the notification area, which is very useful if you want these information available at all times - as long as you are using desktop, that is.

Core Temp works well, and doesn't do anything scary (that I know of). I have it set up to display the CPU temp and CPU utilization on the task bar. I refer to these displays frequently since the SP2 has a bad habit of suddenly revving up and driving the temp to 70/C for no good reason.

Core Temp is available at: Core Temp

Click on the "More downloads.." link, and then you'll see the standalone 32/64 bit download links.