What's new

Is there a way to not show a specific picture in the modern app tile?

CrippsCorner

Hi, got some drawings (not rude ones lol) but none the less, I don't want them showing on the app tile. I've tried making them 'hidden' but alas they still show up... is there a way to hide them as such?

wilbur4321

You might have to place them in a folder outside of the pictures folder.

Not just outside the pictures folder, but make sure that the folder isn't in your pictures library or otherwise indexed. I've had an unpleasant surprise or two from this one :(

thanks,
--randy

Sent from a test application

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I'm not with my Surface atm, but can you explain what exactly the 'library' consists of? And how to get out of it lol...

pallentx

In File Explorer, you will see a Libraries section. When you open it, there are predefined categories for Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos. Each Library, by default, includes your own folder and the public folder (EXAMPLE: C:\Users\Pallentx\Pictures, C:\Users\Public\Pictures)

You can add any folder on the computer (or network) to your Library and it will get indexed. For example, if you have a second hard drive that contains a lot of pictures, you can add D:\Pictures to the Pictures Library. When you open the library, pictures from your main picture folder and pictures from the external will all be gathered into the Library for you. The Photos app will also pull them in for viewing. If you don't want pictures to show up in the Pictures app tile, they need to reside in a folder that is not part of the Library. For example, if I make a folder C:\Users\Pallentx\Drawings and don't add that to the Pictures Library, the Photo app will not know that they exist on the computer.

I don't think there is a way to have pictures in the Photo app, but not show on the live tile. In that case, I would just turn off the live tile and let it just be a blank launch icon.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I find this actually pretty damn frustrating. I created a new folder and placed pictures in there... they still showed on the live tile. I then took them out completely and put it in a newly created folder in 'Downloads' which has nothing to do with the indexing you mentioned above, but they still showed up! I've now placed them into the recycle bin whilst I figure out what I'm going to do.

Obviously turning off the live tile is an option, but seems a shame, there's gotta be some kind of work around. Thanks for your explanation btw!

DOS

I found that if you click on the Photo Tile, then select settings from the Windows Charm Menu, you can select which systems are displayed.

To prevent any photos from my computer displaying, I only selected Skydrive ... Anything I want to display in the Photo Tile, I copy to Skydrive.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

That sounds good, although it leads me on to my next problem... I can't select live tiles by hand anymore! When I press and hold my finger on a tile, it bumps up and down, a very faint tick appears, and a scroll bar on the bottom. Let go and nothing happens!? It still works fine with the stylus though.

Get this... even after I've placed the certain images in my recycle bin, they still show up on the live tile! I'm guessing it must be kept in some kind of cache.

pallentx

I'm guessing they are cached and will probably, eventually disappear as the indexing service runs. Try making a new folder, make sure its not added to your pictures library, and add some pictures that have never been on your computer. See if those show up in the live tile.

bertopl

I believe they are cached. there have bee posts out there with people complaining of pictures being shown that have been deleted from the computer.