What's new

is there a way to print from RT

capdad

I have a printer on my home network, hooked up via network connection. Is there a way to set up the RT so I can print from it?

bosamar

From Metro type/enter Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Add a printer > it will search for available printers > select one > Next > following the instructions

guitar1969

If it were that easy. . . .

The problem is that many printers are not compatible with WinRt and the Windows Update service for the printer database is non existante (Will not find your printer). I was able to get one of my printers working but had to use a generic variant for it after alot of trial and air. Still hoping MS addresses this issue so I can print at work someday.

bosamar

If it were that easy. . . .

The problem is that many printers are not compatible with WinRt and the Windows Update service for the printer database is non existante (Will not find your printer). I was able to get one of my printers working but had to use a generic variant for it after alot of trial and air. Still hoping MS addresses this issue so I can print at work someday.
Yup, I'm in the same boat as you. My HP wireless printer uses a generic driver, but hey it works. Something I couldn't do with my iPadv1.

Rallicat

Whether you have a good printing experience or a bad one depends on the printer.

I bought a new HP OfficeJet all-in-one wireless printer & scanner, which I'd first checked was compatible with Windows 8 & RT. Not only did it 'just work' with my Surface, but it even discovered and installed the driver automatically without being prompted (my network was set to trusted, so it just found the printer after I'd set it up and did the rest for me). It even automatically downloaded the HP printer app, and HP wireless scanning app from the store!

It might mean shelling out a bit of money, but a new printer that's verified compatible with RT will give a very good printing experience, and even scanning experience if the vendor has an app for it :)

zombie

My brother laser printer worked just fine, just had to go in and add new printer. The driver was built in.

Of course, I did my research before I purchased this printer (was on sale for $80 as well, is $99 currently) and RT wasn't out then.

From what I have been reading, HP is very compatible, and other printers are spotty at best. Depending on the printer you want/have, you need to check the website of that printer manufacturer. If they say it is supported, the driver will be built in. If they don't mention it, either buy a new printer or hope they support it in the future.

Sin

I have not been impressed with printer and scanner manufacturers. They appear to drop support in an attempt to get you to purchase a new model despite have a perfectly good device that only needs a driver. Won't say that they are all doing that, but my contact with both Canon and Epson was nothing short of frustrating. I'll sort out my printer driver through trial and error. Found on that partially works but doesn't print from everything. I'm sure there is one out there, but Canon doesn't seem to want to bother.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My Brother Color Laser works fine from my RT device, the only feature (which is a biggie) is I lose is two sided printing...see if you Printer OEM has a generic PCL6 driver and it should work...

J515OP

Super Moderator
I have not been impressed with printer and scanner manufacturers. They appear to drop support in an attempt to get you to purchase a new model despite have a perfectly good device that only needs a driver. Won't say that they are all doing that, but my contact with both Canon and Epson was nothing short of frustrating. I'll sort out my printer driver through trial and error. Found on that partially works but doesn't print from everything. I'm sure there is one out there, but Canon doesn't seem to want to bother.

This isn't very promising considering I have an unsupported Canon :(

guitar1969

Same boat. I have a Canon color printer at work that the company just bought and I cannot get it to work. If I told them to go out and buy another printer for my RT they would laugh at me.

Heino

AW: is there a way to print from RT

My Brother Color Laser works fine from my RT device, the only feature (which is a biggie) is I lose is two sided printing...see if you Printer OEM has a generic PCL6 driver and it should work...

Check printer settings in desktop mode. There is a register where you tell windows that your printer can do duplex. I also have a brother printer and could enable it there. Was as frustrated as you at first.