What's new

is there a way to print from RT

Chubnut

My Brother HL2070N got picked up straight away. Suppose it makes sense as it's an older printer so drivers are more readily available. Haven't tried the HP scanner yet
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

OP
C

capdad

ok, so I have my printer installed, now how do you print from a document that is not through the desktop and through the start screen? I opened up a pdf file from an email to view it, but there is no option to print. You kidding me?

BWepp

My WiFi HP OfficeJet 6700 Premium works great - RT found it no problem and prints like a charm.
I would also suggest two nice HP RT apps: HP Scan and Capture + HP Printer Control. :)

bosamar

ok, so I have my printer installed, now how do you print from a document that is not through the desktop and through the start screen? I opened up a pdf file from an email to view it, but there is no option to print. You kidding me?

When your document is open Charms Bar > Devices > select your printer

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Check printer settings in desktop mode. There is a register where you tell windows that your printer can do duplex. I also have a brother printer and could enable it there. Was as frustrated as you at first.

Awesome!!! I didn't think to look there....and I started out as a Print Server Administrator in 2001 ;)

gpstrucker

I connected my Canon to the RT via usb cable and it immediately downloaded the drivers. Prints wirelessly now no problem.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I connected my Canon to the RT via usb cable and it immediately downloaded the drivers. Prints wirelessly now no problem.

Care to give any more details? I have seen you post this twice now. The first time I didn't try it because I didn't want to pull the printer out to get to the usb. With the second post I decided to give it a try. Do you have details of the process it went through or was it literally plug an play for you?

I can recognize the wireless printer but it knows it isn't compatible and won't let me do anything. I checked the MS compatibility list and not listed. Now I have plugged in with usb and the printer is recognized and starts to go through a driver process but nothing. I have tried a couple of other drivers still nothing. I think it may just be a case of not supported.

badham21

You can just use a USB cable on your printer / buy one for less than $5, and plug your surface in via USB. That's what I do as my Kodak all in one printer needs disc installation, so I can't do it on my surface

J515OP

Super Moderator
You can just use a USB cable on your printer / buy one for less than $5, and plug your surface in via USB. That's what I do as my Kodak all in one printer needs disc installation, so I can't do it on my surface

Actually I can't do that. Short of trying every single Canon driver in the list I have done everything I can think of. Until we get an update for supported devices I am out of luck with this particular printer :(

Mar

My wireless HP Officejet was found automatically the first time that I fired up my Surface RT. I was quite impressed and did a quick test chart in Excel to test it out. It printed perfectly out of the box.