What's new

Is there an easy way to roll back to 8.1?

goodintentions

Frankly, I'm not impressed with 10. It's pretty much 7 that can run metro apps. And when in tablet mode, it's just auto-full screen windows.

I think I'll be skipping 10.

What's the easiest way to going back to 8.1?

leeshor

Moving this thread to the Windows 10 forum. Some forum searching will bring up a dozen or more threads on rolling back (issues).

Garyjk

first of all. it's not really finished for tablets yet, so don't jump to conclusions until it's finished.

2nd, go to settings, update and recovery, advanced options, view your update history and see if you have an option to uninstall the latest preview build.

OP
G

goodintentions

first of all. it's not really finished for tablets yet, so don't jump to conclusions until it's finished.

2nd, go to settings, update and recovery, advanced options, view your update history and see if you have an option to uninstall the latest preview build.
I did. I went from build 100... to 9926. Now nothing works. When I try to go back further, it says some files are missing.

When I try to update to 100... again, I get error 0x80070103. Can't go forward. Can't go backward.

My question is why would MS make another version of windows 7? They should have named this version of windows 7.1. This is what happens when whiners get what they want.

Let's all go back to hammer and chisel.

leeshor

If you really like Windows 8.x so much Windows 10 can be made to work pretty much the same way.

OP
G

goodintentions

If you really like Windows 8.x so much Windows 10 can be made to work pretty much the same way.

First of all, I have a bigger problem to solve right now. I'm stuck in 9926 with absolutely no way to move forward or backward. All attempts at updating gives me error 0x80070103. Start menu button doesn't work. Notification button on the bottom right doesn't work.

OP
G

goodintentions

Moving this thread to the Windows 10 forum. Some forum searching will bring up a dozen or more threads on rolling back (issues).

Can you link me to your search result?

screenshot.png

OP
G

goodintentions

Did you make a recovery media? Is the recovery partition from 8.1 still there? In the mean time calm down and look at the threads where people have tried to uninstall Windows 10 and go back. You aren't the first and won't be the last with this rollback issue..

Just link me to your search results.

I was promised a windows 10, not a windows 7.1.

leeshor

First of all it's a long way from being Windows 7 as you claim. And posting results from a search doesn't actually work with a link. You will need to sort through the Windows 10 forum.

OP
G

goodintentions

IE full screen for "tablet mode" is the same as IE on 7. It's 7 that can run metro apps in windows. Sure, system menus are moved around, but everything else is 7. I have not seen anything that differentiates this from 7. I bet that if I take this to work and show people, they'll believe me if I tell them this is 7.

I'm pissed off that MS killed off probably the most ergonomic design ever and revert back to the old 7 design.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but for now I'm leaning toward skipping windows 7.1.