What's new

Is this a new threat?

dcoplien

I just got a pop-up warning saying windows firewall blocked my touch keyboard on public networks. Is this new? All windows touch or just SP4?? I have never had that happen before. I usually don't take my keyboard with me.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This an official MS TypeCover keyboard or a bluetooth variety?

The TypeCover of course uses a physical (pseudo USB) connector so that message doesn't make much sense in that context.

OP
dcoplien

dcoplien

Oh, that doesn't make any sense either, at least not logically.

Perhaps a keylogger ??? Id scan with malwarebytes.
I did and it found nothing. The message made it sound like this could be a newly discovered glitch in Windows. I left where I was. Next time I go back I will try and remember to unblock it in the firewall then write down the full message.

Last edited:
OP
dcoplien

dcoplien

All I could find on it was a number of people that had the same problem (on a surface) in 2013. The response was via private message so that didn't help. One person implied it was updating the touch software which didn't make that much sense. At least I know I am not the only one that has received the message but appear to be the most recent.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft's Touch Keyboard send anonymous data back to help predictive typing and auto correct.... it is in the Privacy and EULA...

OP
dcoplien

dcoplien

My internet went down so I set my phone as a hotspot. It was blocked. Called the carrier and was told ALL internet in my area was blocked. After my internet connection came back on, I tried the hotspot again and it worked. Something must be going on locally. I have noticed for two days slow connections from Charter and AT&T. Whatever it is may be why I got a warning that I never had before and I have used that connection hundreds of times.