What's new

Is this device for me?

viktit88

Dear professionals! Dear friends! Help me, please!
I am from Russia. And I decided to buy some device with lte for my daily work (I want to replace my PC, iPhone and BB Classic) at home, on the road and in office to be more productive.
For me the main things I need are portability, convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy (battery life from 7.00 till 24.00). I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to use ms office (special business version with power pivot, power map and other special tools), latex, spss, mathtype, mathematica, stata, qlick view, r, adobe acrobat pro, indesign, finereader, 1c, ms visio, ms project and etc. And, of course, I like to watch movies in the evening. These are the main programs I need to use, other are less productive. I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly, so I also work on my Apple iPhone and BB Classic to be always online. I think, if I will buy lte version of any slim and lightweight notebook/tablet, I can replace all my devices.
So the question is, whether Surface pro 4 or Surface Book will satisfy all my needs?
I have also another variants - to wait for 1) MacBook Pro 2016 2) Lenovo x1 or x series 2016
My friends told me not to look on core m devices (I mean Galaxy tabpro s, MacBook 12, etc., because they are much slower than core i5.
Many thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you have unrealistic expectations. 17 hour battery life is not happening unless you have a cart to haul extra batteries. No, it's just not.

Orlbuckeye

Dear professionals! Dear friends! Help me, please!
I am from Russia. And I decided to buy some device with lte for my daily work (I want to replace my PC, iPhone and BB Classic) at home, on the road and in office to be more productive.
For me the main things I need are portability, convenience in typing (I use MS Office a lot, about 10 hours a day), and also autonomy (battery life from 7.00 till 24.00). I am working in the sphere of science, so I work with a lot of researches and databases. I need to use ms office (special business version with power pivot, power map and other special tools), latex, spss, mathtype, mathematica, stata, qlick view, r, adobe acrobat pro, indesign, finereader, 1c, ms visio, ms project and etc. And, of course, I like to watch movies in the evening. These are the main programs I need to use, other are less productive. I am also doing a lot of administrative work, that is why I always have hundreds emails every day and I should response on them very quickly, so I also work on my Apple iPhone and BB Classic to be always online. I think, if I will buy lte version of any slim and lightweight notebook/tablet, I can replace all my devices.
So the question is, whether Surface pro 4 or Surface Book will satisfy all my needs?
I have also another variants - to wait for 1) MacBook Pro 2016 2) Lenovo x1 or x series 2016
My friends told me not to look on core m devices (I mean Galaxy tabpro s, MacBook 12, etc., because they are much slower than core i5.
Many thanks!

The Surface would probably have the best battery life of the devices you are considering

Orlbuckeye

The surface book has 2 batteries. There is on in the clipboard that when detached from the base you only get 3 hours (tablet only). If you want tablet with better battery life you can flip the screen and fold it down and you can get up to 12 hours. When attached and using the keyboard you get upto 12 hours. When you click on the batteyr shortcut on the taskbar it shows the % remain for each battery. You can when using the clipboard only connet to the power brick it's not restricted to battery only.

The Surface Pro 4 only has 1 battery.