What's new

Is This Finally the End for the Surface

Knuck

Microsoft just don't get it. They have designed a winning product but execute it so poorly that their sales are dismal. The iPad is so successful because it is easy to use and just works. The Surface on the other hand is plagued with minor problems that require multiple driver and firmware updates that is a serious disincentive to the would be buyer. Why don't they spend a little more time testing before they rush to release. I personally don't think the issues are nearly as bad as one might think after reading these forums but they are still issues that will leave the average user annoyed. If I wasn't computer literate and read the multitude of negative posts, I wouldn't buy one. Issues such as the pen not working, the overheating problems or the less than ideal keyboard, to name a few, should never make it to a final release. It wont be long before Microsoft finally throw in the towel as a result of dismal market share on a product that really has the potential to revolutionize the tablet/laptop market.

tuchas

Microsoft just don't get it. They have designed a winning product but execute it so poorly that their sales are dismal. The iPad is so successful because it is easy to use and just works. The Surface on the other hand is plagued with minor problems that require multiple driver and firmware updates that is a serious disincentive to the would be buyer. Why don't they spend a little more time testing before they rush to release. I personally don't think the issues are nearly as bad as one might think after reading these forums but they are still issues that will leave the average user annoyed. If I wasn't computer literate and read the multitude of negative posts, I wouldn't buy one. Issues such as the pen not working, the overheating problems or the less than ideal keyboard, to name a few, should never make it to a final release. It wont be long before Microsoft finally throw in the towel as a result of dismal market share on a product that really has the potential to revolutionize the tablet/laptop market.

As an Apple enthusiast, my first inclination would be to agree with you. But for those of us that have bought the first batch of these devices, we are the "early adopters" - essentially the beta testers for future customers. I can tell you that some of my Apple products were purchased right after release and I had some problems - one example being a backlight problem on an iPad. But I have to admit, not like this.

The thing is that I'm not sure you can blame it on the hardware as much as the operating system. Therein lies the real problem - Windows 8.1 suffers from the same driver issues that previous Windows versions suffer from, if not worse. The interface needs work, and there are few decent modern apps. But being an SP1 customer, I can tell you that after a few weeks many of the driver, power and wifi kinks should be fixed. Or so let's hope - or the title to this thread may prove prophetic.

leeshor

What you are reading is about the problems some people have with their Surface. What you are not reading is about all the people who are not having problems, mostly because they don't have a reason to participate if everything is working. I personally know several Surface owners who haven't had problem 1.

If my customers had problems with their Surface tablets I would have been the first to hear about it. The only issues I have heard about were Windows 8/8.1 questions.

Ms.Dos

Can you elaborate? I have thru Surface Pro 3. The pen works exactly as I expected. (Something I could not say for my Dell Venue Pro, which I purchased last year. That pen was a disaster.) The keyboard also works just as I thought it would, based on using other cover keyboards. I have not noticed any overheating. Are there fatal design flaws that have escaped my attention?

Cupcakes

My pen works too and I have not yet had an issue. I do agree that it heats up quite a bit, even when I am just having the app store open. I played steam games on it yesterday all day and I didn't have an overheating issue. That fan was really running though.

But yeah otherwise, I haven't heard of too many people having issues either, as in the people who were lucky enough to get it before the official release.

OP
K

Knuck

Can you elaborate? I have thru Surface Pro 3. The pen works exactly as I expected. (Something I could not say for my Dell Venue Pro, which I purchased last year. That pen was a disaster.) The keyboard also works just as I thought it would, based on using other cover keyboards. I have not noticed any overheating. Are there fatal design flaws that have escaped my attention?

Reports indicate that the pen's pressure sensitivity function with programs such as PS were not working and users had to go to the pen manufacturer for updated drivers. Heat is a problem for higher intensive applications and has been widely reported. Slower performance than the SP2 both with apps and WiFi have also been reported. There are several other issues reported that need not be listed to make this point. This is not a new product, it is version 3. It should not have been released with these issues, especially heat and slower performance. I love my SP2 and was surprised how quickly Microsoft released the SP3. There was no reason it had to be released so quickly. I hope the Surface line survives but I can't see how it will when plagued with so many issues regardless of their cause, software or hardware.

bradhaak

I agree with Ms.Dos. I picked up my SP3 on Friday and configured it. Friday night I used it with the Type Cover, writing in Word and Scrivener and synching with Dropbox. Saturday I was at a conference and spent the day using the pen to take handwritten notes that I converted into text from the pen input panel. Today, I spent more time writing.

Friday night, I also did a battery rundown and got over seven hours of use with wifi, Bluetooth and max brightness on the display. With the display at 75% it looks like I will get an hour or two more--right on track.

So far, it is flawless. What are these mysterious fatal problems you are talking about, anyway? Are they anything like the grip of death on the iPhone 4?

cdf3

As others have stated, there are many people that have not had a single problem with their Surface device. I own Apple products, and they have problems as well.
A quick search for WiFi problems for the MacBook Air will give you tons of posts and threads of upset users.

be77solo

WiFi performance on battery is terrible and general performance is slower than the SP2 are my two gripes that unless fixed in a couple weeks will require a return.

MickeyLittle

Part of the issues he is talking about are for people with AC routers and yes that is a real issue as they are reporting speed test reports ranging from 500-800 mbps (which is out of this world my you) down to 3-5 mbps which is on the slow side and very disappointing.

As for having to download a driver from the n-Trig website to get the stylus to work (fantastically I might add) get over it. This is a PC and there will always be updates. Heck even Lemon I mean Apple releases iPhone 17 (not the 1st model in other words) that needs an update within days or weeks right out of the gate.

For the firmware update, we knew this up front and it happened for most users during initial setup of the SP3. Again this is normal process as with any Windows product during setup. Maybe not a firmware update but for sure regular Windows updates.

One thing that I've noticed and been excited about is this; several of the reported issues seem to have been fixed by the firmware update and the driver download. I had both of these installed within hours of owning my device. Can other companies say this?

chrsb

I'm going to agree with the OP to a certain extent. I'm not an Apple fan boy to begin. IMHO the Surface isn't geared toward the masses and would never be accepted as such. The Surface in its current form is not meant for grandma or the wife to be a productive product. There is to much tweaking involved with these things. You cant just pick one up and start using it. Ive already had to trouble shoot it, tweak it and do some reading on it(and my Surface 1&2). Many of my programs are not meant for touch, the onscreen keyboard sucks(it's taking me forever to type this) and I've had 2 crashes already.

With an iPad you turn it on, it works. If iPads had palm rejection and a full version of Bluebeam Revu I would be all set. It's simple things like auto keyboard, one touch spelling correction, double space bar period, auto capitol at the beginning of a sentence. It's the experience the sells the ios devices, they've dumbed down the devices as many people would rather trade customization for ease of use and stability.

I will say this version is my favorite and will replace my iPad. I own an electrical contracting company and will use this for meeting notes, blue print reading, drawing as built prints and general productivity. I understand this is not advertised as an iPad replacement.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

WOW... its been out 48 hours and you ringing in the death knells? Let be really clear here, forums are made up of enthusiasts, newbies with issues and trolls...

Now what is interesting Enthusiasts tend to know way to much for the own good when it comes to devices like the Surface Pro 3, they attempt to approach this device as they have every other computer they own - but you can't do that, this is a new type of machine, let me say this again a new type of machine... we have an Intel Core S0iX Compliant Tablet that is as thin as an ATOM or ARM Tablet that runs x64 and is one of the first AC enabled Windows Devices. The issue become enthusiasts tend to want to tweak and apply former enhancements (I'm guilty) without understanding what impact it has on the machine... already we've seen people hacking the registry to disable Connected Standby, using the Command Line to apply other Power Schemes, etc.. I myself lamented the WiFi issue, but it was no where near as bad as I thought....I still get the same speed on the Internet that I got with my SP2 and S2...the Marvell Chipset is newish and many router that work fine with other machines have struggled, my R7000 router needed a Firmware Update, I now longer lose my connection. I feel for those with Orphaned or OSS Routers has updates may be lacking...

Now lets talk about Gamer Enthusiasts - This is a Thin and Light Device - it will never be a awesome gamer rig... it will play games but not like a dedicated Gamer Rig.... its a Core Tablet of course its going to throttle, this is a productivity device and a consumption device. It play all of the WinRT based Games awesomely but bloated Win32 Games that have engines based on code from the 90s not so much.

Newbies who may have bad machines or Config Issues search for help and forums come up first so they post their issues, some are self inflicted like the enthusiasts other have machines that are indeed broken, funny thing, Apple forums are full of people who have issues with their iPads and OSX Machines, they've had machines bricked due to updates, bad drivers and hardware failure its the nature of the beast. Support Forums from any community would convince any sane person that every device is a piece of Cr@p...

There is no reason to try to explain the third group....

Now for my final rant.... this isn't an iPad and this isn't a MacBook Air and Microsoft didn't compare it to the Air or iPad individually but said it can replace both and it can quite well... I've used TabletPCs (real computers in Tablet Form not oversized phones like the iPad and Android world) since 2003 and this is by far the best device I've used, it has successfully replaced my Surface 2 and my Pro 2, it has worked so well my son and wife are upgrading as well....

This is a revolutionary form factor and those that it is designed for love it... sorry your view has become jaded in this short amount of time...