What's new

Is This Finally the End for the Surface

mohcho

After reading this 4 page discussion, all I can say is that early adopters ALWAYS bear the brunt of growing pains. As others have said, Apple devices suffer the same issues as Samsung, HTC and Microsoft. It's like buying the new design of a car. You never want to buy the first year of a redesign because there are always going to be issues, but in the case of computers, software and firmware updates tend to fix the issues that arise.

Yes, I have the same wifi battery issues as others have had and the pen was doing a few strange things in OneNote before I updated the drivers, but for what it is compared to the SP2, it's quite a feat to have a bigger screen and lighter form factor. My brother-in-law has a Surface 2 and he ranted and raved about it when he first got it and now he's oohing and aweing at my SP3. This replaced my work laptop and I foresee it to serve me well for work and personal use.

EMINENT

I think you are missing the point here. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has suffered dismal sales. If they want this product to be successful, it has to be stellar. Releasing it with slow performance and serious heat issues is inexcusable. They are basically shooting themselves in the foot. Not only are they not encouraging new adopters they are turning off some of their existing customer base. I love the Surface concept and successfully use my SP2 as a tablet laptop, and desktop. Microsoft is obviously trying to target both Air and iPad users by releasing a lighter thinner and larger model with i3 and i5 power at similar price points. Coming out with a slower next generation product with several serious issues such as heat and slow WiFi is not going to achieve increased sales. Without a substantial increase in sales, eventually they will have to throw in the towel.

You think an Arm processor doesn't get hot? They sure as hell do. Even my previous iPhone would if pushed.

They're in it for the long haul. The concept has been around for ages, it just hasn't gotten this good until now. They really don't need this or phone, however, they're making billions off of licensing Android every year. They can experiment and do this stuff for us all they want as far as i'm concerned because OEM's aren't doing it. Few are making anything worth raving about out there, so i'll accept the little quirks that haven't affected me to support it. Maybe you should look into something else if you don't believe in it.

I think they're doing fine. It's the media that keeps comparing numbers from an established product 5 years in the making at half the cost to something in a totally different category. I'm sure MS's bean counters know this and they know the uphill battle. It's tough getting a person only needing a dumbed down os to pay double for something that replaces a laptop, tablet, and desktop they don't need. They've been brainwashed into thinking this is the standard for the last few yrs. and frankly i'm glad I never fell for it. Either that or they can't afford it. This isn't MS's target audience regardless. There are other Windows devices that'll do what they want.

"Dismal sales" that the media and you keep professing are not only looking for headlines, but really poor thinking on the subject.

Last edited:

NGC

I lived with an Ipad for two years. After two years I was glad to try the Surface Pro 2. The toy Ipad now gathers dust as I advanced to the Surface computer. I guess there is a value for the Ipad if you play games.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are missing the point here. Unlike Apple, Microsoft has suffered dismal sales. If they want this product to be successful, it has to be stellar. Releasing it with slow performance and serious heat issues is inexcusable. They are basically shooting themselves in the foot. Not only are they not encouraging new adopters they are turning off some of their existing customer base. I love the Surface concept and successfully use my SP2 as a tablet laptop, and desktop. Microsoft is obviously trying to target both Air and iPad users by releasing a lighter thinner and larger model with i3 and i5 power at similar price points. Coming out with a slower next generation product with several serious issues such as heat and slow WiFi is not going to achieve increased sales. Without a substantial increase in sales, eventually they will have to throw in the towel.

Define dismal sales? Again you are setting your own belief on what the goal of the Surface Devices are...these are Halo Devices in the Windows World (much like the ASUS Tai Chi) they are designed to push the envelope of what a Windows Machine is or can be, the only people who think that MS is expecting to sell 60 million Surfaces is delusional (I'm looking at you Tech Press),if they did that it would destroy the OEM channel.

puma

Not seeing major issues.. this thing is pretty sweet. Few things here and there but nothing future updates wouldn't fix.

leeshor

When talking about sales figures - most reports by the press are all wet anyway. It very much depends on what you are comparing them to. There has been a lot of discussion surrounding the fractured Android OS, market but all the markets for hardware are becoming fractured as well. Everyone wants their piece of the pie and it gets smaller and smaller every day.

Microsoft has had their share of failures as have any number of other software/hardware companies. Kings of the hill come and go but I doubt Microsoft is going anywhere and I don't think this, (Surface), can be considered a failure by any stretch. Vista, maybe, but not Surface.

Also keep in mind the pushback of the original Windows 8.0. They finally listened and have improved on it in some very significant (imo) ways. The same will happen with the Surface.

ipaq_101

One thing you have to realize is that most apple users (most) will never buy a surface pro because they already are iSheep. Most journalists who review Apple products always compare everything else back to their own Apple devices. For example, when the media reviews any iphone to any android device, they always say Android is inferior and that is because they don't know how to use Android properly. When you are so integrated into the Apple eco-system you forget how to use other eco-systems and everything the competition does is bad because it doesn't work like the Apple product you own. Another example, the same iSheep love every new iteration of the iOS, which steals things from Android after every new version and they love it. The same people who bash Android, all of the sudden love the same features when Apple copies them.

Same thing will happen if and when Apple starts copying the surface and offers a comparable product. This won't be for years though, Microsoft planned years ago to have a dual OS (touch and traditional) and it takes years to re-invent your entire architecture and now we are starting to see the fruits of their labor. Apple doesn't want to offer a similar device because they want you to buy an iPad and a Macbook so they can even make more off of you. Apple is also a master of letting the market develop a product and then come in before it matures and copy the hell out of it and put it in a shiny metal case. They didn't invent the mp3 player, the tablet, or the smartphone, but most Apple people think they did.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I am a MS guy and will always defend them against Apple Sheep.

Last edited:

mohcho

Define dismal sales? Again you are setting your own belief on what the goal of the Surface Devices are...these are Halo Devices in the Windows World (much like the ASUS Tai Chi) they are designed to push the envelope of what a Windows Machine is or can be, the only people who think that MS is expecting to sell 60 million Surfaces is delusional (I'm looking at you Tech Press),if they did that it would destroy the OEM channel.

So true. Everyone that thinks about a tablet, thinks that it is only for consumption and light work, but the Surface is a FULL computer. People have a hard time shifting their paradigms because the iPad (which many people think tablets are) has been marketed as a consumption device, not a work device. Just look at the marketing for iPads. Even when they do refer to business purposes, they are specialized apps for that market.

tuchas

One thing you have to realize is that most apple users (most) will never buy a surface pro because they already are iSheep. Most journalists who review Apple products always compare everything else back to their own Apple devices. For example, when the media reviews any iphone to any android device, they always say Android is inferior and that is because they don't know how to use Android properly. When you are so integrated into the Apple eco-system you forget how to use other eco-systems and everything the competition does is bad because it doesn't work like the Apple product you own. Another example, the same iSheep love every new iteration of the iOS, which steals things from Android after every new version and they love it. The same people who bash Android, all of the sudden love the same features when Apple copies them.

Same thing will happen if and when Apple starts copying the surface and offers a comparable product. This won't be for years though, Microsoft planned years ago to have a dual OS (touch and traditional) and it takes years to re-invent your entire architecture and now we are starting to see the fruits of their labor. Apple doesn't want to offer a similar device because they want you to buy an iPad and a Macbook so they can even make more off of you. Apple is also a master of letting the market develop a product and then come in before it matures and copy the hell out of it and put it in a shiny metal case. They didn't invent the mp3 player, the tablet, or the smartphone, but most Apple people think they did.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I am a MS guy and will always defend them against Apple Sheep.

Um, I am a so-called iSheep. But I recognize good tech when it arrives on the scene, and the SP3 is a great device. Some of the problems we are seeing should be solvable. And yes, I can testify to the fact that even Apple devices have had their share of problems.

OP
K

Knuck

Dismal sales = significant losses to the point where major Microsoft shareholders are clamouring for Microsoft to get out of the hardware business altogether.

leeshor

Dismal sales = significant losses to the point where major Microsoft shareholders are clamouring for Microsoft to get out of the hardware business altogether.

They have been doing that for a long time, even going back to when they first came out with branded mice and keyboards. Some companies, especially in the phone arena, report the number sold to the retail market not to the consumer. The Surface is in a different market so the sales will look different as they aren't in all those phone stores. I still say the problem is that the pie slice is getting smaller and a lot of companies are claiming they can't or aren't making money. That's an old story too.

I wouldn't pay a ton of attention to what stockholders are saying anyway. (one reason Dell is going private is to relive themselves of stockholders' headaches).

Dim-Ize

I love my SP2. It has been an incredible experience. While some have reported issues, I personally have been blessed and thankful that mine has been stellar. It plays games, runs my office apps, corporate VPN, and handles my workload great! As jnjroach pointed out, "people wanted a device the same thickness as the Surface 2" and I'm in that category. I would have loved a SP3 in the form factor of the Surface 2 - with the performance of the Surface Pro 2. I don't think the form factor would support it (yet).

But, given these remarks in this thread - and I appreciate the candor from both sides - I will probably sit this one out and wait until the next gen chips are out or SP4.