What's new

Is this typecover "pooka" normal?

mitchellvii

My type cover has a little "pooka" in the seam that is kind of centered and may just be normal but I wanted to run it by other users and see what you think. You can only see it if you bend the type cover back like you were going to use the SP3 in tablet mode.

Here it is. Pooka is in the middle.

WIN_20140828_125032.JPG

snd_fx

Something like this happened to the touch cover that came with the first Surface RT. It eventually got worse and started to tear. It was a result of folding the keyboard backwards like you are describing. I went to Microsoft Store with it (well after the return period) and they replaced it. Since then I never bend it backwards anymore even though its a feature of the keyboard. Even now with the SP3, I just take off the keyboard instead of bending it backwards

malberttoo

Something like this happened to the touch cover that came with the first Surface RT. It eventually got worse and started to tear. It was a result of folding the keyboard backwards like you are describing. I went to Microsoft Store with it (well after the return period) and they replaced it. Since then I never bend it backwards anymore even though its a feature of the keyboard. Even now with the SP3, I just take off the keyboard instead of bending it backwards

The TypeCover for the SP3 is constructed differently than the original one, so I don't think folding it backward is as big a deal.

Also, don't forget that if you DO want to, instead of folding it backward, you can just unfasten the keyboard and put it on backward. Then it's closing normally, the keys aren't exposed, but it's out of your way. I personally like this method a lot.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The TypeCover for the SP3 is constructed differently than the original one, so I don't think folding it backward is as big a deal.

Also, don't forget that if you DO want to, instead of folding it backward, you can just unfasten the keyboard and put it on backward. Then it's closing normally, the keys aren't exposed, but it's out of your way. I personally like this method a lot.

But then how would I practice my blind reverse 8 fingered typing skills? :)

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Mine has it as well. Although, I can't say that I'd ever read the term "pooka" before... :)

A "pooka" is closely related to the "poopknot" but more specific than the basic "thingamabob". Here is the Webster's definition:

Pooka: (noun): odd thing which protrudes unexpectedly resulting in technological anxiety.

wynand32

A "pooka" is closely related to the "poopknot" but more specific than the basic "thingamabob". Here is the Webster's definition:

Pooka: (noun): odd thing which protrudes unexpectedly resulting in technological anxiety.

Liar liar pants on fire. The actual (Merriam-)Webster definition is:

a mischievous or malignant goblin or specter held in Irish folklore to appear in the form of a horse and to haunt bogs and marshes

Which is fine, because my SP3 has one of those as well. Keeps me up ALL freaking night. My wife wants me to get rid of the SP3 because of it.

And, the tech media is picking up the story, saying that being infested with Irish goblins is the final sign that the Surface line is doomed, that Microsoft is going to abandon it and Windows Phone and start making Android-iOS dual-boot tablets and smartphones. They're going to fade into obscurity, though, as Chromebooks, Google Docs, and iWatches take over the world and Google and Apple merge to become the Tyrell Corporation. Ominous stuff.

But, yeah. Pookas.