What's new

Issues installing 3/11/14 hardware update, error 800706BE

sdoiuasd

Is anyone else having issues installing this update? I had figured it might be due to my using Intel graphics drivers (this has caused Bing app issues as well) and despite that I've rolled them back to Microsoft defaults I'm still experiencing issues like this as well as intermittent instability and power issues.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks! Screenshot (126).png

GoodBytes

Did you use any registry cleaning software at some point in time?
'cause you have really screwed up your system somehow.

Last edited:

al2fast

That update won't install on my device. I press update and restart and it goes to the blue updating screen, restarts, and then tells me I have a firmware update. Tried MS support and they tell me to do a refresh. I don't want to install it that bad yet.

GoodBytes

That update won't install on my device. I press update and restart and it goes to the blue updating screen, restarts, and then tells me I have a firmware update. Tried MS support and they tell me to do a refresh. I don't want to install it that bad yet.

Where you plugged in and fully charged?
Did you try it with and without the keyboard?

OP
S

sdoiuasd

Haven't used a registry cleaner but one of the previous updates hung at 30% for approximately 5 hours, prompting me to hard reset the device. Ever since ive been having issues with my display driver (cant even update manually, "...cannot find file path specified...". This prompts some apps (Bing ones, notably) to close immediately on opening, must be ones that rely on open gl?

Anyway this is the only other issue ive experienced. 8.1 Update 1 installed fone but did not dix either problem. I'd refresh it but for lack of an installation disk and not wanting to lose all my desktop apps.

Frustrating.

Is anyone else having issues installing this update? I had figured it might be due to my using Intel graphics drivers (this has caused Bing app issues as well) and despite that I've rolled them back to Microsoft defaults I'm still experiencing issues like this as well as intermittent instability and power issues.

Any advice would be helpful, thanks!View attachment 1895

GoodBytes

I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 Update 1. And I have no issues so far. Their was an update after that, and it installed fine. I used the old Windows Update desktop version.

The Surface line of products includes in the system an image of the system of when you purchased the device.
To re-install Windows. Go under PC Settings -> Update and Recovery -> Recovery -> "Refresh your PC...".
All programs and firmware updates will need to be re-installed.

Microsoft does not use OpenGL in it's products. It uses DirectX.

Basically your issues is that you have really screwed up your Windows. Like there is no easy fix.
You can find solutions online you can try, maybe one of them will work. It has to do with 1 or more things got unregistered or corrupted that needs to be fixed.
Fixes for Windows 7 also applies to Windows 8, so you can try them.

al2fast

Where you plugged in and fully charged?
Did you try it with and without the keyboard?

Yup, Yup, Yup, Yup... with and without keyboard, 100% charged, plugged in, not plugged in, tried doing the update through Windows Update in the control panel on the desktop...We'll see if all of these latest updates install now. I tried the hard boot or whatever with the power + volume up (I think it was up), all to no avail. I got ZERO complaints about the performance of my surface, so in no rush. Just irks me a little that it doesn't install like its supposed to. Mines a 4300 if that matters at all.

As for the OP's issues, I'd try Microsoft Support, you can do a chat with them, that's what I did to get suggestions. My gut tells me that they will have you try a few basic things and then suggest a refresh. Worth a shot though, you never know!

al2fast

I did a full re-install of windows instead of the refresh. Hardware update installed fine after. Maybe it's just because I was without for 15 minutes or so during the process, but after all the updates installed, the colors seem to be more vibrant now. It's weird, never noticed that before.