What's new

Issues post 17/02 update

Eplak

I experinced it occasionally before, but it happens a lot more often now. Sometimes when wathcing a video of some sort, the SP4 freezes when i try to do something else (e.g. go out of fullscreen, press any button). I also have problems with sleep, that i didn't have previously. My unit doesnt seem to enter sleep. It gets really hot and the fan goes berzerk. Anyone else?

This is my second SP4, and i don't want to return this one as well. I really need a working computer.

leeshor

Did you make adjustments to your Surface to get around power issues before the update? This most recent update should have solved those issues not created them. I would do a malware scan and if that didn't help maybe a refresh or reset.

OP
E

Eplak

Ihaven't adjusted any power settings to get around the power issue, no. I have only touched the settings inside the settings app (not control panel) as far as i know.

What is the difference between refresh and reset?

leeshor

A refresh leaves your files and does an in-place reinstall of Windows. A reset wipes everything and leaves you with a like brand new device.

wynand32

Over in the "new firmware udpate" thread, there are some people indicating the same issue with non-sleep and overheating since applying the update. It's not unusual for different machines to perform differently following a major update like this one. I would skip everything else, back up the SP4, and do a factory reset from a USB restore drive (my reset failed when performing via Settings).

OP
E

Eplak

Okay i have done some testing with my surface, and i found a reason for the sleep problem.

If i close my typcover and the plug or unplug the charger, the SP4 will pop out of sleep. (The screen will turn on, then black again after aprox. 3 seconds.) So i have to plug/unplug my device before closing my typecover. Hope that helps somebody!

btreece

Apps within the Windows store will not update completely. They have no problem downloading, but during installation receive a 0x80070470 error code. Tried restart, UEFI restart and turning off Norton anti-virus to NO AVAIL.

wynand32

Well, golly. Was just working in the office and heard a fan running somewhere. Didn't know what it was at first, then realized it was my SP4. Fan running full-blast and very, very hot. And of course, it was supposed to be sleeping. If it were in a bag, it'd be burning up, no doubt.

Grrr.

btreece

After the February 17 update, the App Store will not update the apps. The apps download fine, but then during installation, each app receives a 0x80070490 error.

Tried the following without any success :
1. Reboot
2. Restart to UEFI then restart
3. App troubleshooter
4. SFC scan
5. DIMS checkhealth, restorehealth, resetbase
6. stop services, rename SoftwareDistribution, system32/catroot2 folders, start services

Am I at the end of the line to have to RESET Windows once again?

Thanks!

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a thought or two here - But with the SP4 turning itself on while in sleep mode - I truly think it has something to do with Cortana - Now this is just a thought, but I didn't have this issue until the recent update. Now when I reboot my machine, I have several "Backround Processes" running - (Windows Shell Experience Host, Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation) - This is where my ignorance comes in. Can anyone possibly tell me why these services are running, do I need them? Should I attempt to shut them off? I dont see any need to Share my Network via Media Player as I never use Media Player - Does anyone else have these Background Services running?

dcoplien

I don't use Cortana and mine turns on IF is put it into sleep via closing the keyboard cover. If I use the power button, it doesn't wake up and goes to hibernate after 1.5 hours. By closing the cover I also found it wasn't going into hibernate. Mine sits on a table so I know there is no keyboard movement, usually was turning on about 3 to 5 hours after sleep with the fan a full speed and the tablet quite hot.