What's new

issues with external hardrive

bootymeat

I am having issues with my external Hard drive. Ive got a wd 500gb passport that I will plug in the usb port, but I cannot open it. Ive downloaded the app to go along with it, but even the we app says that there is no device detected. Any suggestions on this issue?

hotphil

First thing is to see where the fault lies. Connect the disk to another computer - does it work there? Connect another disk/thumbdrive to the Surface - does it show up?

Nuspieds

I know WD has an app and I don't use it for whatever it does (encryption or whatever), but I do not have any problems with the WD 500GB My Passport drive connected to my USB 3 hub.

CrippsCorner

WD is your problem! Rubbish hard drives...

Mine died after 6 months (hardly used) and that was a 500Gb too
yelling.png

bluegrass

First thing is to see where the fault lies. Connect the disk to another computer - does it work there? Connect another disk/thumbdrive to the Surface - does it show up?

Dang. You think like I do. Divide & conquer. Keep dividing as necessary. When you establish the disk drive works on another computer and other devices work on the Surfaces USB port, try adding and external power supply to the hard disk. The port might not be supplying adequate power to that particular hard disk.

Also, on USB devices, don't ever bother with installing the software that comes with the device. They aren't needed.

FFX

Some USB-drives, need more power. I got an iOmega drive, that wont work unless I plug in its secondary USB power conector somewhere else. The Surface 1 and 2s USB port don't seem to have the same "power" as a laptop or desktop computer USB has.