What's new

"It pays to trade in your old iPad" (Expires October 27, 2013)

oion

I just got this email from MS.

Trade in your iPad, Get a min. $200 gift card
Use towards the purchase of a Surface or other cool products at the Microsoft store

How to redeem this offer
Bring in your gently used iPad 2, 3, or 4 and get a minimum of a $200 gift card to the Microsoft store.
Looking to upgrade your tablet? Check out the Surface RT or Surface Pro.
Surface RT
The revolutionary new tablet built by Microsoft comes pre-installed with touch-enabled versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
Starting at $349

Surface Pro
The laptop in tablet form, built by Microsoft, runs your favorite Windows desktop programs and includes a one month free trial of Office 365.
Starting at $799

Deal details

Fine print:
Valid September 5, 2013 until October 27, 2013. Available in select Microsoft retail stores in US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada; Not valid online. Offer only valid for the exchange of listed iPad products, no exceptions. To be eligible for trade-in, device should include power cord, if available, and device cannot be password protected. Microsoft Store gift-card value will be equal to trade-in value, and is subject to Microsoft’s discretion and manager approval. All trade-ins are final. Recycle for Rewards program provided by CExchange, LLC. and other terms and conditions may apply. See store associate for details. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed for cash. Limit 1 per customer

Last edited:

demandarin

I got excited when I first saw this. Then got pissed when I saw its only ipad2 and up. I still have a iPad 1st generation from when they first came out. I wonder if they going to do a trade in for current surface pro or rt owners also? Would be smart to do so because it'll ensure those customers buy one also. But my pro is still brand new and I'd be damned to take too much of a loss on it. If they offered at least $800 dollars for my 128gb version, od bite on it...the lowest 750.

beman39

dear lord, who would want to trade in their $500+ ipad for $200 off? that is the dumbest deal I have ever seen! if it was for the 1st and 2nd gen then I can see people jumping in on this...I think Microsoft is expecting too much.

dellaster

Since it's $200.00 minimum, I imagine that's what you get for the "gently used" iPad 2 with 16 GB and WiFi only. It has to go up from there. How much it goes up is the real question. It's likely much better to sell at iPad on eBay or Craigslist, of course. But the convenience of a trade in is worth something, too. Some people would rather toss an old gadget in a drawer than face the hassle of private party reselling.

CrippsCorner

I wonder what they're going to do with the iPad's... anyway it's a smart move, and as demandarin said, they really should open up the offers to previous generation Surface's as well.

dellaster

They're probably going to do what Gazelle.com does: resell them on Amazon.com and other markets. Or rather, CExchange Inc., the company handling this for MS, will do so.

I note that Gazelle.com will only give $170 for a "flawless" iPad 2 16 GB WiFi. MS is outdoing them, which ain't bad (for those trading in) since Gazelle.com has been doing this for many years profitably and they know how to price these. I sold all my iStuff to Gazelle.com a year ago, and other things in years prior when they accepted more variety than just iStuff and top-of-the-line Android phones/tablets. e.g. game console w/cartridges, old ebook readers, etc.

Last edited:

machistmo

I just got this email from MS.

Trade in your iPad, Get a min. $200 gift card
Use towards the purchase of a Surface or other cool products at the Microsoft store

How to redeem this offer
Bring in your gently used iPad 2, 3, or 4 and get a minimum of a $200 gift card to the Microsoft store.
Looking to upgrade your tablet? Check out the Surface RT or Surface Pro.
Surface RT
The revolutionary new tablet built by Microsoft comes pre-installed with touch-enabled versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
Starting at $349

Surface Pro
The laptop in tablet form, built by Microsoft, runs your favorite Windows desktop programs and includes a one month free trial of Office 365.
Starting at $799

Deal details

Fine print:
Valid September 5, 2013 until October 27, 2013. Available in select Microsoft retail stores in US (including Puerto Rico) and Canada; Not valid online. Offer only valid for the exchange of listed iPad products, no exceptions. To be eligible for trade-in, device should include power cord, if available, and device cannot be password protected. Microsoft Store gift-card value will be equal to trade-in value, and is subject to Microsoft’s discretion and manager approval. All trade-ins are final. Recycle for Rewards program provided by CExchange, LLC. and other terms and conditions may apply. See store associate for details. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed for cash. Limit 1 per customer

Ok, ok... processing this one .. 200 minimum but what is the maximum? iPad that works for an RT, a Platform EVERY hardware maker EXCEPT Microsoft has run screaming from? I give MS an iPad they should give me a Surface RT with a Type Keyboard, a case, an extra Power supply and a check for $99. I would LOVE to see the number of people that actually take them up on this one... Man the cool-aid must be EXTRA strong over there at Microsoft... I just noticed this is valid from Sept 5th, so they are encouraging you to trade in an iPad for a Gen1 device knowing the Gen2 are just around the corner?!?

I mean I want to see you do well in this space, but make better tablets, don't ask people to trade in their Market leader for an RT device... The Pro maybe but seriously... Really?... MS?.... Really?..... I can't wait to see the Post-Ballmer Microsoft.

Anyway, time to get ready for work... You kids stay out of the cool-aid while I am away will you?

machistmo

I wonder what they're going to do with the iPad's... anyway it's a smart move, and as demandarin said, they really should open up the offers to previous generation Surface's as well.

They are going to give the iPad's to the Sales Associate with the highest number of RT sales as a bonus.

demandarin

As I posted in another thread, 1st generation ipads can be traded in also. But it'll fall under their general trade in program. Same goes with surface RT and pro. They can be traded in at Microsoft store for credit out on giftcard that can be used towards the newer surface or whatever in MS store. Called the store earlier and found this out.