What's new

Items on Start Menu disappear

marcus4792

When I logged into my sp3, my start menu vanished, section headers and all. I also noticed that the shortcut for my Kindle reader and the MS Store were missing from the All Apps list. I was able to uninstall and reinstall the Kindle, but I'm stumped for the Store app. I'm on build 10586 of W10.

BubbaUK

I've had this a lot. If a reboot doesn't fix it, rather than faff around, just restore to a recent system restore point and you'll find the links & items come back.

I regularly create restore points now (like every few days). It's a generic Windows 10 problem, not Surface related, as I've had it on the Dell desktop at work and a Gigabyte laptop too.

leeshor

That's very strange. I have dozens of desktops, laptops and tablet with Windows 10 and have never seen that happen. The only start menu problem I HAVE had was not being able to left click on the start button. Right click worked, just not left click. There is a registry hack that fixes that.

OP
M

marcus4792

I've had this a lot. If a reboot doesn't fix it, rather than faff around, just restore to a recent system restore point and you'll find the links & items come back.

I regularly create restore points now (like every few days). It's a generic Windows 10 problem, not Surface related, as I've had it on the Dell desktop at work and a Gigabyte laptop too.
I would do that but I don't see a way to create restore points in Windows 10.

BubbaUK

That's very strange. I have dozens of desktops, laptops and tablet with Windows 10 and have never seen that happen. The only start menu problem I HAVE had was not being able to left click on the start button. Right click worked, just not left click. There is a registry hack that fixes that.

I'm convinced it is certain applications that cause the problem, as not everyone in our office has had the issue. I've not been able to isolate the app (or particular combination of apps) that does it, but a restore from a working restore point invariably fixes the problem.