What's new

It's been heating up! :-\

Zkyevolved

Hello everyone. My device since the last update of May (installed for me on the 20th) has been heating up. I chatted with Surface and they told me to do a complete reset, which wasn't a problem. I have now reset the device to "factory defaults" by swiping to the right, going into the settings and then restoring and then setting it up as a new device. When it turned on I restored it from the backup that OneDrive keeps for settings and apps. I turned off all updates and only copied over my documents and installed office. Nothing else. It's still getting warm.

Sometimes I run powercfg /energy and in the report it says (with nothing running out of the ordinary)

The results I got were:

CPU Utilization:processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 25.84

But that's when I notice that the device is hot. To see this i close ALL my apps and wait a minute, and then run it again and then I see that message.

What is the command to restore the firmware to its original state? Is it the volume up and then power, and then Default Secure Boot Keys? Was that it?

Thank you in advance!

amk.

Yo that's the problem.

There is a bug with the Surface Pro 2, if you have a SD Card in, it may cause the System process to go nuts and use always 25% of your CPU. The only fix right now is to either take the SD card out (out of question I guess :) ) or disable the Realtek Audio device.

Dont ask me what the heck the audio drivers have to do with the SD Card.

If you wanna check it yourself: open the task manager, close everything, sort the Process by CPU usage and just see how System and System Interrupts take 25% of your cpu.

Now disable the Realtek Audio Device and see the Task manager.

Some people fix it by sleeping and waking the tablet again, but the problem will eventually show up again.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Yo that's the problem.

There is a bug with the Surface Pro 2, if you have a SD Card in, it may cause the System process to go nuts and use always 25% of your CPU. The only fix right now is to either take the SD card out (out of question I guess :) ) or disable the Realtek Audio device.

Dont ask me what the heck the audio drivers have to do with the SD Card.

If you wanna check it yourself: open the task manager, close everything, sort the Process by CPU usage and just see how System and System Interrupts take 25% of your cpu.

Now disable the Realtek Audio Device and see the Task manager.

Some people fix it by sleeping and waking the tablet again, but the problem will eventually show up again.

But I have never had this issue before. I had read it multiple times here, but I had yet to see it first hand. I'm going to see what else it could be as I had never seen it before on my device.

Regardless, this all started with the last firmware update from last week.

amk.

Its a common bug _only_ with the SP2, the SP1 never had this issue.

Its happens on a few other PCs too.

And there was no firmware last week, actually there has been no new Firmware releases in the past 2 months.

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

Yes, you're right. I looked at the update they're offering and I have this.

Screenshot (1).png

Do you think this update could have something wrong with it that could have messed up my device?

Thank you for your replies, amk.

revmike

I've had a 64gb card in my sp2 until I removed it to put in a 128gb one, never experienced the "bug".

OP
Zkyevolved

Zkyevolved

I've had a 64gb card in my sp2 until I removed it to put in a 128gb one, never experienced the "bug".

With either the 64 or 128, right? I had a 32 originally, then I got a 64 and I still haven't experienced this. I don't know what it could be, but I know it doesn't have anything to do with the SD card. It didn't happen before with it in. I finally got my device back to normal, now, but I still have no idea what it could have been. I still have that windows update waiting for me and I'm going to wait to update and see.

Update: It's not back to normal! I even tried booting up the device without the MicroSD and I'm still getting the high CPU usage upon invoking powercfg /energy

Last edited: