What's new

I've bit the big one...!

Telstar1948

Welp, for me anyway...after reading Surface Pro forums for 2 years, making a few comments during that time, and generally feeling like the guy on the outside looking in (with my nose up against the window glass)...despite my other 8.1 devices...I'm typing this on my Asus T100 (soon to be put up for sale) as I watch my new SP3/8GB RAM/256GB SSD wonder on the end table beside me installing update 35 of 42. The upper right backside is warm and I hear the very faint whir of a quiet little fan spinning in response to a little warmth from the SP3's activities. I think there's only about 50 or 60 more updates to go...or is that 160? Oh well, who's counting?? Once the updates are finished I'll check it out to see if there is any manic/depressive or schizophrenic behavior coming from this technological marvel; if so I'll promptly do a complete recovery just so this Tinker Bell wonder can get off to a good start!

Upon opening the box I held this marvel of tech thinking, Wow, what man can do...! The components are first-rate, and it is indeed a sight to behold. Truly, the craftsmanship displayed here is something. The size & resolution of the screen is gorgeous, the kickstand incredibly stable, the Type Cover is perfect in my view. The OS is familiar since it's on my T100 and my desktop PC...but the SP3 glides & sales through operations quickly and surely.

My aim is to get things all up to snuff on the SP3 (make sure it's behaving properly after all updates THEN do the whole OneDrive sync, load x86 stuff and get all that like I have it on my desktop) and then work on setting it up as my main workstation (2 - 23" monitors, dedicated scanner, WiFi printer, BT keyboard & wireless mouse, Dymo printer and a host of other peripherals). In preparation for this I got the MS Surface 3 Dock, but I won't fool with all that until I know Tinker Bell is running like a race-tuned Corvette! Once that's all in order, I'll reset my T100 and eventually my desktop unit so the next owner will be ready for them.

I will finally be down to my SP3 as my desktop and tablet along with my Nokia! I realize not everyone wants this setup...but I DO!!! The SP3 will completely handle all my office and recreational use without straining. I am so going to LOVE THIS!!!! :D:D:D (I may even post a thread as time goes on regarding my use case and the SP3 if anyone's interested)

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

Thanks, folks!

BTW, there's a Staple's coupon #50332 (in the store) good through tomorrow the 6th for $100 off any of the SP3's. I called them and verified it. They only had in stock the SP3/4GB RAM/128 GB SSD. I wanted the 8GB/256GB SSD so I went to Best Buy where they had what I was looking for in stock. After some discussion I mentioned the coupon from Staples. They checked it out and said that since Staples didn't actually carry the 8GB/256GB in the store (they're just carrying the 4GB/128GB in stock, and that you'd have to order the other one online, they wouldn't be able to match the $100 off. I talked with the rep a little longer and told him I wanted to look at the SP3 Dock too. After inspecting the dock the rep told me if I would get their BB credit card and buy the SP3 and Dock he'd clear it with his boss but thought he could give me a $100 discount. I agreed and he checked it out. They gave me the $100 off (I intended to get the Dock...along with the keyboard...anyway). Unfortunately, I haven't moved in 12 years and wasn't a student or teacher so those discounts were not available to me.

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy a SP3 at BB and can find a Staples with the model you want in stock, BB will honor that coupon...on the other hand, just some talking and dealing may get you a discount anyway.

olimjj

Thanks, folks!

BTW, there's a Staple's coupon #50332 (in the store) good through tomorrow the 6th for $100 off any of the SP3's. I called them and verified it. They only had in stock the SP3/4GB RAM/128 GB SSD. I wanted the 8GB/256GB SSD so I went to Best Buy where they had what I was looking for in stock. After some discussion I mentioned the coupon from Staples. They checked it out and said that since Staples didn't actually carry the 8GB/256GB in the store (they're just carrying the 4GB/128GB in stock, and that you'd have to order the other one online, they wouldn't be able to match the $100 off. I talked with the rep a little longer and told him I wanted to look at the SP3 Dock too. After inspecting the dock the rep told me if I would get their BB credit card and buy the SP3 and Dock he'd clear it with his boss but thought he could give me a $100 discount. I agreed and he checked it out. They gave me the $100 off (I intended to get the Dock...along with the keyboard...anyway). Unfortunately, I haven't moved in 12 years and wasn't a student or teacher so those discounts were not available to me.

Anyway, if anyone wants to buy a SP3 at BB and can find a Staples with the model you want in stock, BB will honor that coupon...on the other hand, just some talking and dealing may get you a discount anyway.

Congrats!
A little persistence and the offer of additional purchases usually results in a positive result.

dstrauss

...I will finally be down to my SP3 as my desktop and tablet along with my Nokia! I realize not everyone wants this setup...but I DO!!! The SP3 will completely handle all my office and recreational use without straining. I am so going to LOVE THIS!!!! :D:D:D (I may even post a thread as time goes on regarding my use case and the SP3 if anyone's interested)

My sentiments exactly - an SPro 3 for desktop/laptop/tablet duties and a companion phablet - right now a two horse race between Galaxy Note 4 and iPhone 6L. It's going to be a touch call between them, because the GN4 offers OneNote handwritten note goodness, but the iPhone 6L already caters to my walled garden prison of seven years of iPhoney-ness...:confused:

unruledboy

so sensational, mate.... I am deeply moved...

totally agree about this beauty. love it so much. I have to use surface pro 3 to visit this forum, it is like spiritual:rolleyes:

I've retired my wife's old laptop, but I can't retire my new desktop, it serves as a server for the whole family.

I am planning to buy another high end model, because my i5/8g was occupied by wife:oops:

malberttoo

Welp, for me anyway...after reading Surface Pro forums for 2 years, making a few comments during that time, and generally feeling like the guy on the outside looking in (with my nose up against the window glass)...despite my other 8.1 devices...I'm typing this on my Asus T100 (soon to be put up for sale) as I watch my new SP3/8GB RAM/256GB SSD wonder on the end table beside me installing update 35 of 42. The upper right backside is warm and I hear the very faint whir of a quiet little fan spinning in response to a little warmth from the SP3's activities. I think there's only about 50 or 60 more updates to go...or is that 160? Oh well, who's counting?? Once the updates are finished I'll check it out to see if there is any manic/depressive or schizophrenic behavior coming from this technological marvel; if so I'll promptly do a complete recovery just so this Tinker Bell wonder can get off to a good start!

Upon opening the box I held this marvel of tech thinking, Wow, what man can do...! The components are first-rate, and it is indeed a sight to behold. Truly, the craftsmanship displayed here is something. The size & resolution of the screen is gorgeous, the kickstand incredibly stable, the Type Cover is perfect in my view. The OS is familiar since it's on my T100 and my desktop PC...but the SP3 glides & sales through operations quickly and surely.

My aim is to get things all up to snuff on the SP3 (make sure it's behaving properly after all updates THEN do the whole OneDrive sync, load x86 stuff and get all that like I have it on my desktop) and then work on setting it up as my main workstation (2 - 23" monitors, dedicated scanner, WiFi printer, BT keyboard & wireless mouse, Dymo printer and a host of other peripherals). In preparation for this I got the MS Surface 3 Dock, but I won't fool with all that until I know Tinker Bell is running like a race-tuned Corvette! Once that's all in order, I'll reset my T100 and eventually my desktop unit so the next owner will be ready for them.

I will finally be down to my SP3 as my desktop and tablet along with my Nokia! I realize not everyone wants this setup...but I DO!!! The SP3 will completely handle all my office and recreational use without straining. I am so going to LOVE THIS!!!! :D:D:D (I may even post a thread as time goes on regarding my use case and the SP3 if anyone's interested)

Congrats! Great story of your experience so far. Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions farther down the road! :cool:

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

:)
so sensational, mate.... I am deeply moved...

totally agree about this beauty. love it so much. I have to use surface pro 3 to visit this forum, it is like spiritual:rolleyes:

I've retired my wife's old laptop, but I can't retire my new desktop, it serves as a server for the whole family.

I am planning to buy another high end model, because my i5/8g was occupied by wife:oops:

Soooooooo...the little woman ended up with the prize?! Well... looks like it's time to head back to the electronics outlet & get another SP3!!! :):D

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    132 bytes · Views: 468