What's new

I've Changed My Mind: The SP4 is Terrible

Aldec

I can assure you many of the SP4 issues have absolutely nothing to do with the users knowledge or lack thereof. IF you got an SP4 with no issues you're either lucky or something else.

On my third SP4 since April...the last fairly reliable apart from some software glitches such as Hello with the latest updates

DavidZ

That's depressing for such an expensive and capable device as a SP4. I use a $200 10" Android tablet for travel and play.

I also do some work when I travel. That's why I installed MS Office. Also, I can remotely control my home and office desktops when travelling. That's the way I like it.

Actually, what's really depressing is the poster who spent 8 frustrating months trying to get his SP4 to behave like a desktop, when he could have just gotten a desktop for home and/or office use. That's very depressing to me.

eholbik

Why not just buy a simple desktop for the office and use the SP4 for travel? Seems like that would have saved you 8 months of frustration.

Correct...i had a desktop for that purpose during those 8 months.... since I got the SP4 as a gift... no big deal. If I would have paid my own money for that handicap... very different story.

Sent from mTalk

eholbik

I also do some work when I travel. That's why I installed MS Office. Also, I can remotely control my home and office desktops when travelling. That's the way I like it.

Actually, what's really depressing is the poster who spent 8 frustrating months trying to get his SP4 to behave like a desktop, when he could have just gotten a desktop for home and/or office use. That's very depressing to me.

Desktop at home and office already. The frustration was the dock..... why it took MSFT 8 months to get that work right. now its flawless... I didn't mind the wait because I didn't pay for my SP4. Amazing machine.

Sent from mTalk

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use my SP4 as my daily driver using it for 14-18 hours a day, I used it on the Fast Ring the entire time using Insider Builds for both Windows and Office, it still the best device I've used.

DavidZ

Desktop at home and office already. The frustration was the dock..... why it took MSFT 8 months to get that work right. now its flawless... I didn't mind the wait because I didn't pay for my SP4. Amazing machine.

Just curious. Since you already have desktops at home and office, what do you need the dock for?

eholbik

Just curious. Since you already have desktops at home and office, what do you need the dock for?

At the office:

Ethernet port. Vs wireless internet...... no comparison.
Frees up the desktop for another employee..
multi monitor setup.

Sent from mTalk

OP
P

Philtastic

The highly variable responses here are what I was talking about: the device is good enough that it's a highly functional and amazing device but it can be incredibly frustrating when it doesn't work how it should depending on use. Hughlle doesn't use sleep so he wouldn't have run into the really annoying sleep drain and wake up issues. As far as I remember, jnjroach [Edit: not jnjroach. I mixed him up with someone else whose username I can't remember] highly customizes the settings on the devices under his care which has allowed him to have very smooth experiences, going well beyond what a casual user would do.

And that's the problem: if you use the Surface in particular ways (combined with using Insider Builds which I'm tempted to start doing since you all seem to have a smoother time), you might not run into issues but, when my non-tech savvy friends ask me to recommend them laptop replacements, I think back to all of these issues and just want to tell them to stay far, far away. Anyone know of any other 2-in-1/convertible devices worth checking out that don't seem to have a lot of issues?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The highly variable responses here are what I was talking about: the device is good enough that it's a highly functional and amazing device but it can be incredibly frustrating when it doesn't work how it should depending on use. Hughlle doesn't use sleep so he wouldn't have run into the really annoying sleep drain and wake up issues. As far as I remember, jnjroach highly customizes the settings on the devices under his care which has allowed him to have very smooth experiences, going well beyond what a casual user would do.

And that's the problem: if you use the Surface in particular ways (combined with using Insider Builds which I'm tempted to start doing since you all seem to have a smoother time), you might not run into issues but, when my non-tech savvy friends ask me to recommend them laptop replacements, I think back to all of these issues and just want to tell them to stay far, far away. Anyone know of any other 2-in-1/convertible devices worth checking out that don't seem to have a lot of issues?
I use OOB configurations for the most part, the only advanced part would be the HOST File Hack and that is automated and well documented.....