What's new

I've Changed My Mind: The SP4 is Terrible

DavidZ

Philtastic said "The main problem that I've raised in this thread, however, is that I'm not confident that this will last given past history. How many weeks until Microsoft breaks something else again? I guess we'll find out."

Hey, join the club and be happy. That's life when you live on the leading edge of technology. Love it, even with the frustrations at times. If your technology is needed to put bacon on the table, than use and older technology for that and the new technology to experiment and have fun with.
Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say all along, but you said it much better.

Further, trying to use an SP4 as a desktop is like trying to put a round peg in a square hole, IMO. It's not the right/best tool for the job. Just because MS makes a dock, doesn't mean that it's the best way to utilize an SP4.

OP
P

Philtastic

Philtastic said "The main problem that I've raised in this thread, however, is that I'm not confident that this will last given past history. How many weeks until Microsoft breaks something else again? I guess we'll find out."

Hey, join the club and be happy. That's life when you live on the leading edge of technology. Love it, even with the frustrations at times. If your technology is needed to put bacon on the table, than use and older technology for that and the new technology to experiment and have fun with.

Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say all along, but you said it much better.

Further, trying to use an SP4 as a desktop is like trying to put a round peg in a square hole, IMO. It's not the right/best tool for the job. Just because MS makes a dock, doesn't mean that it's the best way to utilize an SP4.

So you're both saying that people should not be upset when the SP4 doesn't work properly because they should have known better than to buy a "leading edge of technology" product that's on its 4th iteration? That they shouldn't be upset when the dock that was advertised as a way to use their SP4 with a bigger screen and keyboard doesn't work, something that laptops have been doing for at least the past decade? You know what, although I think that both of your arguments are ridiculous, I'm going to assume that you're both right because that has nothing to do with my point. The point of my post is to tell people who don't want hassles with their technology to stay far, far away from Microsoft products since, as you have both said, they come with "leading edge technology" and implied caveats that you should assume that there will be problems or that they won't work the way they're advertised to.

We can enjoy and appreciate things while simultaneously being frustrated and critical of their deficiencies. In general, I tend to be pretty patient with tech problems. I was pretty patient with my Surface Pro 2 since that was only their 2nd iteration. When your 4th iteration still has difficulties doing fundamental things like turning on and staying off, however, I feel that it's my duty to inform as many people as I can that this might not be a product for them if they expect it to do these things consistently.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you're both saying that people should not be upset when the SP4 doesn't work properly because they should have known better than to buy a "leading edge of technology" product that's on its 4th iteration? That they shouldn't be upset when the dock that was advertised as a way to use their SP4 with a bigger screen and keyboard doesn't work, something that laptops have been doing for at least the past decade? You know what, although I think that both of your arguments are ridiculous, I'm going to assume that you're both right because that has nothing to do with my point. The point of my post is to tell people who don't want hassles with their technology to stay far, far away from Microsoft products since, as you have both said, they come with "leading edge technology" and implied caveats that you should assume that there will be problems or that they won't work the way they're advertised to.

We can enjoy and appreciate things while simultaneously being frustrated and critical of their deficiencies. In general, I tend to be pretty patient with tech problems. I was pretty patient with my Surface Pro 2 since that was only their 2nd iteration. When your 4th iteration still has difficulties doing fundamental things like turning on and staying off, however, I feel that it's my duty to inform as many people as I can that this might not be a product for them if they expect it to do these things consistently.

Based on your argument everyone should stay away from apple as well. How often is it that we read of an update bricking this or doing that? Pretty regularly. In fact we'd be staying away from pretty much all brands and manufacturers. All of mine have been perfectly consistent including the dock, and a recent poll on the forum shows that the vast majority have a similar positive experience. All products will have issues, be it Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, you name it. I bought an ipad air 2, it locked up before I'd even past the initial setup, would I therefore tell everyone to avoid it? No, because for the vast majority, this is not their experience. You will always see more stories online of failure than success, that's simply how it is, but it means very little as people rarely make threads saying how wonderful their new toy is, but will jump to make a thread saying how bad it is.

DavidZ

So you're both saying that people should not be upset when the SP4 doesn't work properly because they should have known better than to buy a "leading edge of technology" product that's on its 4th iteration? That they shouldn't be upset when the dock that was advertised as a way to use their SP4 with a bigger screen and keyboard doesn't work, something that laptops have been doing for at least the past decade?
No, that's not even close to what I'm saying.
You know what, although I think that both of your arguments are ridiculous...

It would help if you first understood my point before you opined on it.
I'm going to assume that you're both right because that has nothing to do with my point. The point of my post is to tell people who don't want hassles with their technology to stay far, far away from Microsoft products since, as you have both said, they come with "leading edge technology" and implied caveats that you should assume that there will be problems or that they won't work the way they're advertised to.
Do you really think you're the first person to come to that conclusion and alert others?!
We can enjoy and appreciate things while simultaneously being frustrated and critical of their deficiencies.
Really? Is that allowed?!
In general, I tend to be pretty patient with tech problems. I was pretty patient with my Surface Pro 2 since that was only their 2nd iteration. When your 4th iteration still has difficulties doing fundamental things like turning on and staying off, however, I feel that it's my duty to inform as many people as I can that this might not be a product for them if they expect it to do these things consistently.
Duly noted. Add your comments to the thundering chorus including Microsoft's own formal apology for the fiasco.

erik braun

I have had 3 SP3's. Returned them all because of yellow vertical line in screen. Bought an SP4 and returned that too: part of the touch screen did not work. MS gave me a new one and I am very happy with this ons (fingers crossed). So the experience is twofold: SP4 is a great idea, badly executed?

eholbik

Disagree..(.when talking about the SP4). This machine allows for a setup that is the same or if not better than a desktop. Due to its size and cpu power.

I've used tablets as my primary work machine since the HP 500 Slate days. A dock can simulate a simple desktop experience that over time has improved with each new device..
The HP 500 Slate-- the screen was tiny and could extend only to 1 other screen, extremely slow machine.
The Thinkpad 2 -- better screen, better dock (Ethernet), but still limited by the Atom processor. There were programs that were just to heavy for this tablet-- making the need of a desktop at the office a necessity.

To me, everything changed with the Surface 4.

The tablet is much faster & powerful machine than my desktop at the office. Its capable of pushing multiple monitors-- running various programs without slowdowns or limitations... its main screen is large enough that you can work comfortable as the sole screen if you prefer. The kickstand on the back with the multiple positions is ingenious.
Its lightweight-- super easy to travel with--- and i would never go back to a desktop or laptop setup.

I enjoy using my SP4 as a ebook reader (using overdrive or nook app)--i use the pen functions daily-- and cant imagine doing work without the ability of pen input (PDF editing, Onenote)
I rarely use my phone any more -- as i enjoy & perfer both productivity and consumption on the SP4.

As the capabilities of these machines continue to be more advanced--- there will be problems--- software and/or hardware errors will come up. Ive learned and experienced that more than ever on the SP4 but because ive have seen what these units can do---the wait is more than worth it. Sometimes problems become opportunities-- ive learned so much more about windows/programs because ive had to be proactive in looking/trying to resolve some problems/conflicts. Some users don't want that experience and wants something proven/reliable-- everyone will be different.

Every user will have their own preference and experience--- to me the Surface 4 was a game-changer ( i did not try the Surface 2/3 when those came out). i enjoy the interaction with other users who also enjoy the device in the same way i use it--- as well as hear other user experiences that differ from mine.

Sent from mTalk

DavidZ

Disagree..(.when talking about the SP4). This machine allows for a setup that is the same or if not better than a desktop. Due to its size and cpu power.

I've used tablets as my primary work machine since the HP 500 Slate days. A dock can simulate a simple desktop experience that over time has improved with each new device..
The HP 500 Slate-- the screen was tiny and could extend only to 1 other screen, extremely slow machine.
The Thinkpad 2 -- better screen, better dock (Ethernet), but still limited by the Atom processor. There were programs that were just to heavy for this tablet-- making the need of a desktop at the office a necessity.

To me, everything changed with the Surface 4.

The tablet is much faster & powerful machine than my desktop at the office. Its capable of pushing multiple monitors-- running various programs without slowdowns or limitations... its main screen is large enough that you can work comfortable as the sole screen if you prefer. The kickstand on the back with the multiple positions is ingenious.
Its lightweight-- super easy to travel with--- and i would never go back to a desktop or laptop setup.

I enjoy using my SP4 as a ebook reader (using overdrive or nook app)--i use the pen functions daily-- and cant imagine doing work without the ability of pen input (PDF editing, Onenote)
I rarely use my phone any more -- as i enjoy & perfer both productivity and consumption on the SP4.

As the capabilities of these machines continue to be more advanced--- there will be problems--- software and/or hardware errors will come up. Ive learned and experienced that more than ever on the SP4 but because ive have seen what these units can do---the wait is more than worth it. Sometimes problems become opportunities-- ive learned so much more about windows/programs because ive had to be proactive in looking/trying to resolve some problems/conflicts. Some users don't want that experience and wants something proven/reliable-- everyone will be different.

Every user will have their own preference and experience--- to me the Surface 4 was a game-changer ( i did not try the Surface 2/3 when those came out). i enjoy the interaction with other users who also enjoy the device in the same way i use it--- as well as hear other user experiences that differ from mine.
Thanks for your comments. I'm glad to hear that you find the SP4 w/dock setup useful and to your liking, even though you had to plow through the "bleeding edge" issues. As you stated, the added value you experience from this setup makes the extra effort (and the risk that issues could "surface" in the future) worth it to you.

In contrast, I would find absolutely no added value in that setup. My desktops (home and office) are working well and have an excellent record of reliability. No way would I risk their future reliability on a notoriously unreliable product.

I have quite a few mission-critical programs loaded on my desktops and would be extremely upset if I pressed the power button and found a blank screen where all my applications reside. So, I'll just get full enjoyment from my SP4, knowing that if/when the odds catch up and it flakes out, that it's not a big deal to me or a disaster to my business.

Moral of the story: Enjoy your SP4, but caveat emptor.

OP
P

Philtastic

Microsoft strikes again. I wanted to use my SP4 to take notes during a meeting today but the Windows Modules Installer (or similarly named process) was burning through CPU while on power and after I disconnected it for the meeting so I thought that perhaps it was bugged out. I tried restarting my SP4 but then got the light blue screen stating that it was "Getting Windows Ready: Don't turn off your computer". It stayed that way for roughly 30 minutes of my meeting, thus I ended up taking notes on my phone.

Sigh. Problems always happen at the most inconvenient times.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Computers can smell / know when you need them. It comes down to Karma - The more you hate on it the worse it will get

Attachments

• IMG-20161018-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20161018-WA0000.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 435

awwshoot

Just had one of our SP4s handed to me. Stuck in Portrait mode with no screen rotation option. LOL

Not surprised at all. :( Sad when you actually expect issues with a device now!

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just had one of our SP4s handed to me. Stuck in Portrait mode with no screen rotation option. LOL

Not surprised at all. :( Sad when you actually expect issues with a device now!

Yeah - this is technology. It's wonderful when it works, its interesting when it doesn't. To me technology would be boring if it didn't need work done to it - I'd also be out of a job.

One thing folks have to remember - (or not) - When someone hands you a PC in need or repair, they can claim they "didn't" do anything to it until they are blue in the face. That doesn't mean they are innocent. I had a customer bring me a PC in which it would lock up after it was booted. The customer said they had just "took it out of the box and BAM!" - Turns out they took it out of the box and dropped it causing no noticeable exterior damage but fried the hard drive........ I usually ask the customer in this manner. If you did something to it, you can tell me, I break shit all the time - AND it will cost you a lot less, as I won't have to troubleshoot the issue, I can just look for a repair - They will still LIE. LOL