What's new

January Preview updates make blank 8.1 login with flashing wifi

zahgrim

I assisted a family member in getting RT updates working again. The clock was lagging by a month -- despite time sync settings set to time.windows.com -- but anyway, after bringing it a month forward in time, two small sized (30ish MB) important updates and the optional January 2018 Preview updates for 8.1 RT appeared. I opted to apply them.

This resulted in a successful startup, but blank login screen, except for a flashing pointer and flashing wifi icon. I found an x86-related article on Lenovo forums (topic: Y500 windows8.1 black screen blinking cursor/wifi) which describes the same behavior.

I was left with no choice but to Refresh after intentionally triggering Automatic Repair. Thus, I have no historical data on the actual cause as far as I can tell from the event logs. All I know is that after I applied the last round of important updates, which did not require a reboot, I then applied the optional January previews, and that required a reboot. Following that reboot, I ran in to the blank screen issue.

Are there any blogs or information sources detailing this behavior?

KevinS253

Thanks for the heads up. I will wait before applying these for sure! You think it has anything to do with Meltdown/spectre patches? I heard they have been causing all sorts of problems on all systems to the point that Microsoft released a patch to roll them back.

phdipshiz

I have the same thing popping up on a customer's Surface 2. Blank screen (backlight on), blinking wifi indicator. If you touch the screen the cursor shows up intermittently. Extremely frustrating. Hope they patch this soon.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you confirm you have NOT installed KB3033055 the Windows 8.1 Update 3? This is known to cause what appears to be an identical problem. Perhaps it's a combination of the two or there are now two separate vectors to he same end point.

Um, January Preview updates??? It's now mid February, color me confused and perplexed as this is a dead platform save for security updates what would we be previewing?

Do 't make me get out my RT and check updates. :D

phdipshiz

I'm not sure. I'm going to go through it again and install them one at a time until it borks. If I find anything useful I will post it here.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure. I'm going to go through it again and install them one at a time until it borks. If I find anything useful I will post it here.
Ok, just hide the KB3033055 update and see if everything else goes through... which has been successful for others... Unless we have another issue manifesting.

phdipshiz

Following up: It was definitely KB3033055 causing the problem. I installed it by itself to see if I could replicate the results and it did not disappoint. I'm going to hide that one for now.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Following up: It was definitely KB3033055 causing the problem. I installed it by itself to see if I could replicate the results and it did not disappoint. I'm going to hide that one for now.

Some new information was reported indicating a conflict with another update and installation order is important. See thread here.

vanbcman

I hid update KB4074594 before installing KB3033055 and that worked. Finally I got the Windows 10 Menu to appear.
I had almost given up trying to install it but I read disabiling KB4074594 fixed the problem. I am new to the Surface and purchased a refurbished unit. Other than getting the updates in properly I like the tablet/laptop.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hid update KB4074594 before installing KB3033055 and that worked. Finally I got the Windows 10 Menu to appear.
I had almost given up trying to install it but I read disabiling KB4074594 fixed the problem. I am new to the Surface and purchased a refurbished unit. Other than getting the updates in properly I like the tablet/laptop.
Great, although having users sort out patch/update installation order by trial and error is not the intended experience.

xygnusx

Ok, just hide the KB3033055 update and see if everything else goes through... which has been successful for others... Unless we have another issue manifesting.
Hello GreyFox7. My RT updated and went dark with the wifi icon blinking. How can I get in it to apply your solution?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello GreyFox7. My RT updated and went dark with the wifi icon blinking. How can I get in it to apply your solution?
After resetting it you need to hide one of the updates that causes the problem.

One it boots after resetting I'm not sure which options show up any more for Windows Update if you can change it to not automatically update do that. Either way in the list of Updates or Optional Updates find the update to skip... Right click it and select Hide.

It should look something like this guide ...
Windows Update - Hide or Restore Hidden Updates - Windows 7 Help Forums