What's new

Joining the HomeGroup

I have received my Surface 2 yesterday and began playing with it, it is an awesome tablet. I was able to connect to my home WiFi network and surf the internet but I am unable to join the HomeGroup network to share files and use the printer. :confused: Tried several times using the HomeGroup password, adjusting the time (synchronizing), activating the IP Home service on the host computer, none has worked. Does anyone have any tips on how to join the HomeGroup network?

I can see the surface 2 on the HomeGroup network map (Windows 7) but it shows the Surface as an external device (not joined).:confused:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You may need to delete the Homegroup and have the Surface create a new one. Keep and mind that the Surface can only be a client and can't share its files with any other machine (other than through the SkyDrive).

beman39

ahhh that's why I can't enter from my home computer to my Surface...which sucks a little LOL but he shouldn't have to do so, I joined no problems even though it was set up already from my main computer, what he might have to do is uninstall from his computer and set up a new one and then try to join again...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There was a known issue affecting a small group of users who had issues joining the Home Group from an RT device.

CrippsCorner

I love HomeGroup when it works. Unfortunately my computers decide to delete themselves from it every few days :( (and I can't share pictures, very strange!)

beman39

wow really? I never have problems with my homegroup on my Surface except once in awhile it'll take a along time to connect to it in the beginning...but when streaming movies to my Surface it works flawlessly.

TeknoBlast

I never used homegroup at all. I have a NAS on my network and any computer can access it. The keeps from having that "one" computer on at all times. Plus, I have it mirrored. Came in handy the other week because one of the drives failed and all I had to do was swap the drive and rebuild the array. No data lost.

kristalsoldier

I never used homegroup at all. I have a NAS on my network and any computer can access it. The keeps from having that "one" computer on at all times. Plus, I have it mirrored. Came in handy the other week because one of the drives failed and all I had to do was swap the drive and rebuild the array. No data lost.

I really need to learn how to set up a NAS with raid...!!!!

OP
G

geisslingen

My main PC (Laptop) has Windows 7 running and I have a D-Link wireless router (dual band). I deleted the existing home group but now when I am trying to create a new Home Group I get a warning message that Home Group requires Internet Protocol version 6 (IPV6) to be enabled and asks to troubleshoot the network then I get a message that it could not find anything. I checked the properties of the network modem and found IPV6 is checked on. Any idea what I should do? I want Surface 2 to join a Home Group so that I can use the network printer.

beman39

just an FYI make sure you join a homegroup on a "wifi" and not wired, I don't know why MS did this or if its a mistake, but you can't join a homegroup with a wired connection! also make sure your date/time is correct! other than that it should work and connect no problems.