What's new

Joining the HomeGroup

CrippsCorner

wow really? I never have problems with my homegroup on my Surface except once in awhile it'll take a along time to connect to it in the beginning...but when streaming movies to my Surface it works flawlessly.

At first I was able to stream music perfectly, but it gradually got worse and worse (any ideas why!?) so in the end I gave up and bought myself an SDXC card for all my media. It's a bit of a shame as my Windows 7 desktop PC is basically redundant now. Might set it up for mum somewhere to stop using my Surface!

beman39

whats worse and worse? also it can be many factors from the router to the host computer to maybe the Surface itself? what I would recommend is redoing the homegroup and see if it fixes it

TeknoBlast

I really need to learn how to set up a NAS with raid...!!!!

It's actually easy to set up. The part that's a huge headache is transferring all the data you have your computer to the NAS. That took me a couple of days to do. Even though Ethernet is fast, that's GBs GBs of data. So I had to transfer everything in portions.

CrippsCorner

whats worse and worse? also it can be many factors from the router to the host computer to maybe the Surface itself? what I would recommend is redoing the homegroup and see if it fixes it

What I mean by worse and worse regarding my music playback was it would stutter for a second every couple of hours... then it was every hour... then every 5 minutes... and eventually every minute or so. Became unbearable.

Tried re-doing the HomeGroup, multiple times :(

beman39

kayzee, does it do that when you connect say a laptop to your homegroup? or is it just the Surface?

CrippsCorner

I literally only have two computers on it... one that basically acts as a server for my Surface. I could try doing it the other way around I guess, and see if I get the same results.