What's new

Jumped aboard the SB 2 train.

Derekamoss

Well it happened. SP4 lost it's life last night and since warranty was out decided to go with the Surface Book i5 128gb. Downgrade on the storage but that's all. Kicking myself for throwing away all the adapters for my micro SD card now lol.! Currently upgrading to 1809. Would have been nice if the Surface Image was 1809 but came with 1709.

adamanders

Well it happened. SP4 lost it's life last night and since warranty was out decided to go with the Surface Book i5 128gb. Downgrade on the storage but that's all. Kicking myself for throwing away all the adapters for my micro SD card now lol.! Currently upgrading to 1809. Would have been nice if the Surface Image was 1809 but came with 1709.
Why didnt you get the SP6 instead?
SB2 is basically a laptop with a detachable screen. Not very portable IMO.

OP
D

Derekamoss

Why didnt you get the SP6 instead?
SB2 is basically a laptop with a detachable screen. Not very portable IMO.
For the screen size and weight when I use as a tablet which is 90% of the time. It's not a work computer and pretty much stays at home unless I take it to a friends house to hook it to a TV to watch some TV Shows and Movies. It has worse battery life as a tablet which I am aware of but most of the time I have the keyboard folded back so the battery isn't an issue or I'm close enough to an AC Outlet to have just the screen plugged in. I defiantly know it it's not as portable if I was replacing a laptop and I would recommend the Surface Pro before this in most cases. It just happened to fit my need better. I loved my Surface Pro, believe me. Had a Surface RT to a Surface Pro 3 and then to a Surface Pro 4 before buying this so I thought it through. I appreciate the feedback though!

kristalsoldier

Can you share what exactly happened to your SP4? Thanks

OP
D

Derekamoss

Can you share what exactly happened to your SP4? Thanks
Yeah I should have mentioned that in the first post. My mistake. My clumsiness happened. I was out on the patio at night and it was dark and I tripped over stupid firewood lol. I actually broke three ribs at the same time. The Surface Pro ran out of it's nine lives of me being stupid and shattered the screen. I had already used up my two accidents with the Surface Complete warranty so decided to just buy a Surface Book 2 instead of paying 600 to replace the screen. Actually as luck would have it, when I bought it from the Microsoft Store the sales clerk told me they can do a 3rd replacement by case by case basis. A little background here, I had found an Exploit in the Windows 8 Store, allowing me to download anything, that you had to pay for, for free. Well I sent it to Microsoft and had an email exchange with some technical guy but really didn't hear anything about for weeks and was still able to exploit it and I am curious person. So I took the longshot of emailing Satya Nadella at his Microsoft address and within a day he emailed me saying thanks for finding it and put me in touch with An Executive Vice President named Richard Kaplan. Awesome and friendly guy and from then on I was up to date. I have kept in touch with Richard since, and even emailed Richard about the good experience I had had previously at that store and apparently it earned them good recognition so I had some friendly ties to the store. But after a few years most of the people who were there for that were no longer employed. That's the background. Well I called the same Microsoft Store and asked for a manager and explained I had just bought the Surface Book at that same store when I had shattered the screen before on my Surface Pro 4 and asked if there was any way I could possibly do a third swap on the warranty on the Surface Pro 4 because I had always told my girlfriend when I upgrade my computer you can have the Surface Pro 4 because she loved it and had a crappy Dell and wanted it for school and it was almost Valentine's Day and it would be perfect. Well he straight told me no... Well I hate being told no and I've learned from being in the Military you use every resource available before you admit defeat. So I took the off shot of emailing Richard Kaplan about it and if there was anything he could do to help. Well he said he would send it to the Surface escalation team and they would handle it, but using it before I knew it might take weeks. Well when it comes to Valentine's Day, I try to go all out every year and really wanted to give her the Surface Pro as a gift. So I drove to the store with it the next day and asked to talk to a manager who was not the same one I had talked to on the phone luckily. I re-explained everything to him, even about how I helped get them recognition and told him I knew an Executive Vice President from Microsoft who was helping me by sending it to the escalation team and showed the emails. He said he remembered when I got them recognition and said he would do a third swap. Even better he did it for free! So I was able to give the Surface Pro to my girlfriend! So that's the story and I am still loving the Surface Book!

kristalsoldier

Yeah I should have mentioned that in the first post. My mistake. My clumsiness happened. I was out on the patio at night and it was dark and I tripped over stupid firewood lol. I actually broke three ribs at the same time. The Surface Pro ran out of it's nine lives of me being stupid and shattered the screen. I had already used up my two accidents with the Surface Complete warranty so decided to just buy a Surface Book 2 instead of paying 600 to replace the screen. Actually as luck would have it, when I bought it from the Microsoft Store the sales clerk told me they can do a 3rd replacement by case by case basis. A little background here, I had found an Exploit in the Windows 8 Store, allowing me to download anything, that you had to pay for, for free. Well I sent it to Microsoft and had an email exchange with some technical guy but really didn't hear anything about for weeks and was still able to exploit it and I am curious person. So I took the longshot of emailing Satya Nadella at his Microsoft address and within a day he emailed me saying thanks for finding it and put me in touch with An Executive Vice President named Richard Kaplan. Awesome and friendly guy and from then on I was up to date. I have kept in touch with Richard since, and even emailed Richard about the good experience I had had previously at that store and apparently it earned them good recognition so I had some friendly ties to the store. But after a few years most of the people who were there for that were no longer employed. That's the background. Well I called the same Microsoft Store and asked for a manager and explained I had just bought the Surface Book at that same store when I had shattered the screen before on my Surface Pro 4 and asked if there was any way I could possibly do a third swap on the warranty on the Surface Pro 4 because I had always told my girlfriend when I upgrade my computer you can have the Surface Pro 4 because she loved it and had a crappy Dell and wanted it for school and it was almost Valentine's Day and it would be perfect. Well he straight told me no... Well I hate being told no and I've learned from being in the Military you use every resource available before you admit defeat. So I took the off shot of emailing Richard Kaplan about it and if there was anything he could do to help. Well he said he would send it to the Surface escalation team and they would handle it, but using it before I knew it might take weeks. Well when it comes to Valentine's Day, I try to go all out every year and really wanted to give her the Surface Pro as a gift. So I drove to the store with it the next day and asked to talk to a manager who was not the same one I had talked to on the phone luckily. I re-explained everything to him, even about how I helped get them recognition and told him I knew an Executive Vice President from Microsoft who was helping me by sending it to the escalation team and showed the emails. He said he remembered when I got them recognition and said he would do a third swap. Even better he did it for free! So I was able to give the Surface Pro to my girlfriend! So that's the story and I am still loving the Surface Book!

Fascinating! Great that things worked out for you (and your GF). I also had a similar experience with MS recently, but it was about a refund to an OS upgrade. At first, they denied my request. But then I messaged Mr. Nadella on LinkedIn and lo behold! In short order, I got a call from their corporate office advising me that my request was addressed.

Enjoy your new machine! Cheers!

OP
D

Derekamoss

Fascinating! Great that things worked out for you (and your GF). I also had a similar experience with MS recently, but it was about a refund to an OS upgrade. At first, they denied my request. But then I messaged Mr. Nadella on LinkedIn and lo behold! In short order, I got a call from their corporate office advising me that my request was addressed.

Enjoy your new machine! Cheers!
Yeah, whenever I email it only takes hours before a response. It honestly makes me feel more personable to Microsoft like I used to with Apple because I doubt if I emailed Cook the same would have happened. Glad he was able to help you too!