What's new

Jumping Ship on the SP2

MickeyLittle

Well I have made a tough decision as I have decided to move on for now and cut my losses. I received an advanced replacement unit and it was a refurb in worse shape than my current unit so I shipped it right back to Microsoft and told them not to send another one. I've read of too many hear going thru 3-4 of these and I just don't want to keep fooling around. In my opinion I just don't thhhink that the SP2 was/is ready for market but again that is only my opinion.

I went to Best Buy Saturday and got the new Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and it should meet my needs and then some. The screen is much bigger that my SP2, it is advertized to get 13 hours battery life and after both Saturday and Sunday there is no doubt that it is getting the 13 hours for me. I also pre ordered the following case.
Pro Keyboard Case for Samsung Galaxy Note|PRO & Samsung Galaxy Tab|PRO - Logitech

So for $900 I feel pretty good about my new setup. Now I'm off to ebay my SP2 and accessories. Will I try the SP3? That just depends but probably not as I think it would be hard to give up the extra screen on the 12.2 that I'm getting used to very quickly.

Good luck to all of you as you continue in your quest to get your SP2 running as solid as your SP1 ran. And for all of you with solid a SP2 count your blessings.

kevinlevrone

The only reason that I see for getting a Surface Pro /2 is to run Windows PC software. If you don't need this functionality there are hundreds of Android, iOS and even Windows RT devices out there which are lighter, cheaper, with longer lasting battery, etc. But if you do need full Windows, there are not many devices that can replace a Surface Pro, you are just wasting even more money in search for a replacement. Just my opinion. I would say that you could wait some time like 2 months and then re-send your Surface Pro 2 for repair. There is a higher chance to receive the newer processor at that time, I believe.

bluegrass

What was the reason you were returning your SP2? Did the new one they shipped you exhibit the same problem? I purchased the extended warranty with my SP2. They told me, even if I accidentally drop it or give it a bath, they would replace it with a new one.

Philtastic

If the problems were fairly obvious, you could have also tried exercising the warranty in store and specifically ask if they could give you a new box (they might not even stock refurbs).

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

The only reason that I see for getting a Surface Pro /2 is to run Windows PC software. If you don't need this functionality there are hundreds of Android, iOS and even Windows RT devices out there which are lighter, cheaper, with longer lasting battery, etc. But if you do need full Windows, there are not many devices that can replace a Surface Pro, you are just wasting even more money in search for a replacement. Just my opinion. I would say that you could wait some time like 2 months and then re-send your Surface Pro 2 for repair. There is a higher chance to receive the newer processor at that time, I believe.

Yes I didn't/don't actually have to have a windows tablet for my needs and Android will work just fine for me. I wanted it because I tried the SP1 and it worked flawlessly for me except for the battery life.

This isn't Mickey's first, second or even third tablet rodeo. ;)

You're right again Lee. My wife calls me an electronic slut for good reason sir. And yes I know this is a money losing venture for me but while a lot of guys hunt, fish, go to ball games, drink, or smoke, etc... this is my 1 money spender in life pretty much. Most of my tablet purchases I end up losing in the neighborhood of around $100 and yes on the one with taxes and fees I will probably lose closer to $300 but this is not the norm for me as usually it is a $100 loss 5-8 times scattered through out the year. I do make some of that up mind you by selling some items as well.

What was the reason you were returning your SP2? Did the new one they shipped you exhibit the same problem? I purchased the extended warranty with my SP2. They told me, even if I accidentally drop it or give it a bath, they would replace it with a new one.

The replacement was scuffed up on the back and the screen had a yellowish tint at the same brightness levels as compared to my current unit. I have just read on here too many instances of the replacements not being worth a flip and I just don't feel like going back and forth with this any longer. Besides my local FedEx is 45 minutes away so I had to drive an hour and a half Friday evening to send the advanced replacement unit back. I really don't want to do that again and I know if they send me another that even if it is great then I'll have to drive it to send mine back and if it is another dud then I'll be driving it at least twice more...

godson594

Sorry to hear it but it's not surprising. I'm on my 3rd replacement and regret my purchase still, even tho my screen isn't (squeaking yet) - the amount of bugs that are on this thing make me nuts. I LOVE when I wake mine from sleep and can't get back on WiFi unless I reboot, I love when my Arc mouse just loses BT connection and requires me to reboot. I even regret my XboxOne purchase because of how buggy Kinect is. I feel like I have wasted over 2k with Microsoft... I just don't have the time to deal with selling everything

grumpy

I am only on my first replacement. I guess I am somewhat lucky that my refurbished unit was in good cosmetic condition. It did seem to exhibit some of the anomalous battery behavior of my first unit, but after the February update, the battery level goes completely wonko once it drops below 22%. I suspect that I will be requesting another unit, but I may wait a little while to try and get the newer processor.

My decision to purchase the SP2 was based on my positive experience with the SP1.