What's new

Jumpy bluetooth mouse fix

kc912

Just been toiling with a problem affecting my SP2 and the Bluetooth mouse. Managed to fix it so thought I'd share my findings... Firstly my mouse would randomly disconnect when it wished and was generally slow. To fix this I went Control Panel > Device Manager > Bluetooth > Right-Click Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter > Properties > Power Management > Untick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

Secondly when downloading large files my mouse would become really jumpy (un-usable). What fixed this was going Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right-Click Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller > Properties > Advance > Selective Suspend > Set value to 'Disable'.

I don't know how many others are having this issue but hey it worked for me. I'd imagine there may be some slight drop in battery life but for me that's not a huge issue.

Edit: Unfortunately it's this sort of thing that means that whilst I freaking love my SP2 I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. They have trouble right clicking never mind accessing Device Manager and to them this sort of thing could ruin a Surface.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Lots of people have had a similar problem, including myself. However I found a different solution. For me, it seemed to be a conflict between 2.4GHz on both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

I changed my Wi-Fi to run a 5GHz SSID and connected my Surface to that... it's been a game changer, superb performance ever since.

Have had one hang up in the last few weeks since it's been set up (compared to constant daily interruptions) :)

koblongata

OMG, Thank you so much, kc912

My bluetooth Razor Orochi 2013 was really jumpy when torrent is running as well.
This is really a serious problem, I think all bluetooth mouse manufactures and MS should take this issue seriously...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with kayzee.

I use 5GHz with my SP2. Maybe that's partly or completely the reason why I have been getting great performance and better battery life.

CrippsCorner

Still interested to see if Update 1 cures this somewhat, as has been reported.

My Surface and Bluetooth peripherals continue to work great, however... roughly once a day (maybe twice) the mouse and audio receiver will jump and buffer for around 10-15 seconds then come back and work fine. It's strange, but inconsistent enough that it doesn't really bother me.

appel

Secondly when downloading large files my mouse would become really jumpy (un-usable). What fixed this was going Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right-Click Marvell AVASTAR 350N Wireless Network Controller > Properties > Advance > Selective Suspend > Set value to 'Disable'.

Thank you. Seems this finally solved my issue with my bluetooth mouse starting to lag/stutter when taxing the wifi connection. :D

And I would definitely recommend Surface devices for everyone despite minor issues like this because compared to issues I've had to help friends and family with for devices from other manufacturers this is nothing.