What's new

Just because I'm a fanboy doesn't mean I like fans...

mitchellvii

Gotta admit, the fan on this i5 is weird. Here I am doing random stuff and the fans starts spinning up hard. I check Task Manager and only 4% cpu usage. Temps at 49C. So, no heat, no downloads, nothing taxing wifi and the fan spins up. Weird.

I mean, as fans go it is about as quiet and unobtrusive as they come, but the erratic behavior is a quandary. I can live with it but can't help but be curious as to the cause and hope it doesn't point to some long term defect.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Future firmware update 98 - spurious fan firing for no apparent reason. nah too obvious, it would be called Windows Fantune and patented. That's marketing, turn a negative into a positive. :D

ctitanic

Gotta admit, the fan on this i5 is weird. Here I am doing random stuff and the fans starts spinning up hard. I check Task Manager and only 4% cpu usage. Temps at 49C. So, no heat, no downloads, nothing taxing wifi and the fan spins up. Weird.

I mean, as fans go it is about as quiet and unobtrusive as they come, but the erratic behavior is a quandary. I can live with it but can't help but be curious as to the cause and hope it doesn't point to some long term defect.
the indexing works while the device is idle. When you try to research what's going on your device is not idle anymore and the indexing stops. The fan will work for few more minutes after the indexing stops.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

the indexing works while the device is idle. When you try to research what's going on your device is not idle anymore and the indexing stops. The fan will work for few more minutes after the indexing stops.

So the indexing is causing the fan to spin up even when there is no heat increase? I thought CPU churn from indexing was mostly a new PC issue?

My Sp3 isn't idle when this happens, I'm just not doing a lot.

I may just disable indexing. http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-windows-8-search-indexing/

Last edited:

ctitanic

So the indexing is causing the fan to spin up even when there is no heat increase? I thought CPU churn from indexing was mostly a new PC issue?

I may just disable indexing. http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-windows-8-search-indexing/
My guess is that whatever program you are using to detect the heat is not using the same sensor used by the fan.

If you disable the indexes your libraries will not work correctly and programs like Music and Videos will be affected.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

My guess is that whatever program you are using to detect the heat is not using the same sensor used by the fan.

If you disable the indexes your libraries will not work correctly and programs like Music and Videos will be affected.

Didn't disable indexes per se, just search indexing.

phositadc

I don't know if this is what's happening, but it could be that the reason the heat hasn't increased is precisely because the fan has spun up. So, indexing begins, heat increases a little bit, fan spins up and returns heat to lower level. So by the time you notice the fan and look at your temp monitor, heat and CPU usage are back to normal.

Just a possibility.