What's new

just bought a new type cover from ebay that does not work!!

jakebake

I just received a new type cover that I bought off ebay. It is not working. I know it is not my device because I also have a touch cover that works fine. ive tried restarting the computer and connecting the keyboard a bunch of times but it wont register. is there anything I have to change in settings? The seller offered to give me a refund however would Microsoft replace it at their store? I have complete also if that matters. it would just be way less of a hassle than shipping it back. thanks

DOS

I am unaware of any settings you would need to change in order to get the type cover to work. My understanding is you attach it, and it (is supposed to) works.

I don’t think it would hurt to take the unit to the Microsoft Store and show them what’s happening. The worst thing they could say is “sorry, we won’t help you”.

Russ

Jakebake --

Typecover and Touchcover are interchangeable. I have Touchcover on my Pro; Ladyfriend has Typecover on hers. The other night I was swapping them back and forth just to try the difference between the two. No settings involved. The Pro doesn't care.

You have a bad keyboard. Microsoft might exchange it for you. My experiences with them is that they try very hard to accommodate. If not, then get the refund.

Regards,
Russ

mitchellvii

You bought it off eBay and it doesn't work. What part of that confuses you?

As a rule of thumb, never buy anything off eBay that costs more than $25.

Russ

You bought it off eBay and it doesn't work. What part of that confuses you? As a rule of thumb, never buy anything off eBay that costs more than $25.

C'mon, Mitchell, give it a rest. I am a frequent eBay buyer, and have been for about fifteen years, having frequently bought things for several hundred dollars, and a few times for well over $1,000. It's like anything else in life -- sometimes you need to be thoughtful about it. Sellers are thoroughly reviewed, and it's easy to tell what kind of history they have. If a product doesn't work, they pay the return freight. My experience of bad product on eBay is about the same as bad product elsewere. Hell, I've had bad product from Amazon, and they take it back, too.

Regards,
Russ

mitchellvii

C'mon, Mitchell, give it a rest. I am a frequent eBay buyer, and have been for about fifteen years, having frequently bought things for several hundred dollars, and a few times for well over $1,000. It's like anything else in life -- sometimes you need to be thoughtful about it. Sellers are thoroughly reviewed, and it's easy to tell what kind of history they have. If a product doesn't work, they pay the return freight. My experience of bad product on eBay is about the same as bad product elsewere. Hell, I've had bad product from Amazon, and they take it back, too.

Regards,
Russ

Well my experience and the experience of my friends is that buying anything of significant value on eBay is playing Russian Roulette. You are FAR better off on Amazon. As far as "seller reviews" I don't even need to begin to explain to you how easily those can be manipulated.

I mean seriously, why should I give my credit card number to Hong Pong Fu in China when I won't even see the product for 3 weeks just to save a few bucks? I once bought something off eBay before I knew better and within a week someone had tried 3 fake charges on my card. Never again. eBay is the central hub of people selling refurbished items and factory seconds as new. Don't be so naïve. In addition, Amazon's return policy is FANTASTIC. They have a new policy where they will actually credit you for a return BEFORE you ship it back! Does eBay offer that?

Nah, buying off eBay is very risky business if it is anything with working parts. Give that a rest.

** To the OP, as far as I know MS is not discounting new Surface merchandise to sellers. This means that if you got your type keyboard for less than $129 you more than likely got a factory second or refurbish.

Last edited:

Russ

Well my experience and the experience of my friends is that buying anything of significant value on eBay is playing Russian Roulette. . . . As far as "seller reviews" I don't even need to begin to explain to you how easily those can be manipulated.

I mean seriously, why should I give my credit card number to Hong Pong Fu in China when I won't even see the product for 3 weeks just to save a few bucks? I once bought something off eBay before I knew better and within a week someone had tried 3 fake charges on my card. Never again. eBay is the central hub of people selling refurbished items and factory seconds as new. Don't be so naïve. . . . Nah, buying off eBay is very risky business if it is anything with working parts. Give that a rest.

Well, Mitchell, I think I will take my actual eBay experience over your somewhat less than knowledgeable opinions about how transactions work there. According to my account, I have done about 400 transactions on eBay, mostly as a buyer, but sometimes as a seller. That does make it remotely possible that I know a little bit about it.

Ebay credit card transactions are handled thru PayPal, and have been for about ten years, so the seller doesn't even see your credit card number. If, indeed, that happened to you, it was a long time ago.

Have a nice day,

Russ

OP
J

jakebake

I have been using ebay for years and years. Hardly have ever had a problem. Ebay and paypal are VERY good with buyer protection. Sometimes there seller protection slacks though. The seller had 500 positive feedbacks and 0 negatives. I messaged him about the issue and he responded within 5 minutes telling me to return the device and he would refund me for the device and the shipping. I just think it would be easier to take it to Microsoft plus it is their product that does not work so they should have to replace it. I checked the warranty and it is good until march 2014.
I am not sure where you get the idea that everything is from china... I usually only purchase from the US. Buying from amazon is new and usually reflects that in the price you can get cheaper prices on ebay. I bought the cover for 85 not 130. I do not know how the credit card issue happened to you, but like Russ said it was probably awhile ago or you didn't go through paypal. Ebay is perfectly fine as long as you are smart about it.
I have lost money on ebay before but only as a seller. I have purchased phones such as the iphone 5 or nexus 4 and sold them on ebay internationally for a huge profit. That is international though and I only lost one phone but the profits I made beyond covered it (and I knew the risks). If you want to sell something where else are you able to? Craigslist? That is even more risky.

Russ

I am not sure where you get the idea that everything is from china... I usually only purchase from the US.
If you want to sell something where else are you able to? Craigslist? That is even more risky.

Jakebake --

More and more Chinese sellers are coming onto eBay, and I am comfortable dealing with them if they have a history. But, then, I'm not comfortable dealing with a US seller unless he has a history and good feedback. I've been dealing with a gal in Hong Kong for several years, always with good results.

Craigslist? Uh, no thanks! I occasionally put stuff on eBay that I no longer need and can't bring myself to throw away. (Actually, I have a congenital defect that prevents me from throwing something away if it is still usable -- to somebody.) I usually list them for just enough to cover shipping costs. If I get more that's fine, and if not, well, at least I didn't have to throw it away.

Ebay is one of the great inventions of the modern world -- right up there with sliced bread and air conditioning.

Take care,
Russ

Last edited:
OP
J

jakebake

Jakebake --

More and more Chinese sellers are coming onto eBay, and I am comfortable dealing with them if they have a history. But, then, I'm not comfortable dealing with a US seller unless he has a history and good feedback. I've been dealing with a gal in Hong Kong for several years, always with good results.

Craigslist? Uh, no thanks! I occasionally put stuff on eBay that I no longer need and can't bring myself to throw away. (Actually, I have a congenital defect that prevents me from throwing something away if it is still usable -- to somebody.) I usually list them for just enough to cover shipping costs. If I get more that's fine, and if not, well, at least I didn't have to throw it away.

Ebay is one of the great inventions of the modern world -- right up there with sliced bread and air conditioning.

Take care,
Russ

haha I do agree with all this however I wish there were more companies like ebay so there would be some competition! I think the percentages ebay takes from the sell are a little ridiculous. Plus you pretty much have to accept paypal these days if you want to sell your product so they take even more from you even though they are owned by ebay.

mitchellvii

Ok, you bought a $130 type cover on eBay for $85 and are actually surprised it doesn't work? Do you honestly believe MS is wholesaling type covers to eBay sellers for $85? My friend, you got sold a refurb or a factory second. Pretty obvious. You cannot buy a NEW type cover for $85, period. I don't care what your eBay experience has been in the past but this time you got taken.

Sorry but just LOL. I am supposed to have confidence in eBay because they clear through Paypal? You are aware that Paypal is one of the biggest hotbeds of identity theft and fraud in the world right? My mother had her identity stolen twice on Paypal.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Sort of off topic but PayPal is very secure and is even moving into commercial retail (e.g. you can use PayPal at Homedepot). Your mom probably lost her identity due to fishing.

"Hello this is PayPal we need you to confirm some personal information by clicking the link below.

Www.loookslikepaypal.com/reallywearestealingfromyou"