What's new

Just bought a Surface Pro 2. I can't open .exe files

Gajuno

Let me be more specific. I bought a Surface Pro 2 (256gb) yesterday and loving it so far. I bought it mainly for drawing and gaming. I bought a digital version of Manga Studio and it downloaded without problems.

However, when I try to open the setup.exe file, it says "Can not launch such kind of file. File types that contain executable code, like .exe, .bat, .js and so on can't be launched."

Is there some additional update I have to do to get my .exe programs to open up? Please help me

kozak79

Either it's corrupt or you need to unblock the exe. Right-click on the exe and select properties. Then look towards the bottom for a button that says UNBLOCK.

GoodBytes

Let me be more specific. I bought a Surface Pro 2 (256gb) yesterday and loving it so far. I bought it mainly for drawing and gaming. I bought a digital version of Manga Studio and it downloaded without problems.

However, when I try to open the setup.exe file, it says "Can not launch such kind of file. File types that contain executable code, like .exe, .bat, .js and so on can't be launched."

Is there some additional update I have to do to get my .exe programs to open up? Please help me

Can you provide us with a screen shot of the error message?
Did you install anything on the system since you got it? If so, what did you install?

Last edited:

GoodBytes

I am pretty sure you have a corrupt file, can you download it again or try another .exe file.
My problem, is the error message he gets, is one I have never seen in Windows before, and the English is not the same style as in Windows.
Windows never say "and so on", doesn't mention file extensions. It would say simply "executable", and definitely not "such kind of file"

So, so far, it rings a alert bell in my head saying: malware.
That is why I want to see a screen shot. Did the poster translate it from his native language of Windows to English? Is a genuine message? Did the user paraphrase the message? Is there an error code?

At first I taught it was the SmartScreen Filter thing that flag everything that isn't hugely successful, or didn't buy the super expensive digital signature from a provider.
But that is not the error message. I thought that maybe he got a Surface 2 and not the Pro 2, but that is also not Windows RT message when running an executable.

Corrupted exe will say that it is an invalid Win32 application, or under Windows 8: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher".

Last edited:

daniielrp

My problem, is the error message he gets, is one I have never seen in Windows before, and the English is not the same style as in Windows.
Windows never say "and so on", doesn't mention file extensions. It would say simply "executable", and definitely not "such kind of file"

So, so far, it rings a alert bell in my head saying: malware.
That is why I want to see a screen shot. Did the poster translate it from his native language of Windows to English? Is a genuine message? Did the user paraphrase the message? Is there an error code?

At first I taught it was the SmartScreen Filter thing that flag everything that isn't hugely successful, or didn't buy the super expensive digital signature from a provider.
But that is not the error message. I thought that maybe he got a Surface 2 and not the Pro 2, but that is also not Windows RT message when running an executable.

Corrupted exe will says that it is an invalid Win32 application, or under Windows 8: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher".

Agreed, the whole tone of that "error" is very un-windows like.

GoodBytes

I get a similar error if I try to run a .exe on my RT.

You should be getting message bellow, not what Gajuno is saying.
it_photo_185368_52.jpg

OP
G

Gajuno

I figured it out everyone. I used WinZip and extracted the files to the Desktop. Also, I have Norton. It was the first thing I downloaded on my SP2 and everything thereafter checked out fine, no malware or viruses.

Thank you all though for giving me pointers :)