What's new

Just finished installing latest updates and got my first blue screen of death

OP
J

jomon

And then what happened?

After crashing and rebooting, I continued with the updates then when it was applying the updates after rebooting, it displayed a temperature guage then shut down. I think it overheated. Good thing it was able to continue applying the updates after I let it cool down and powered it back on. Annoying but still love the device.

bosamar

it displayed a temperature guage then shut down. I think it overheated. Good thing it was able to continue applying the updates after I let it cool down and powered it back on. Annoying but still love the device.
Why do you think it overheated?

Kiwibru

Guess it would be necessary to break them down in separate groups instead of all at once...
Find out tonight...

Arizona Willie

Crossing my fingers and legs --- I installed it late this morning and didn't see any problem at all.
But, I've been working on the desktop comp all day other than the update(s) installations and a short bit of trying it, about 15 minutes maybe.

I'm really curious why some machines overheated during the firmware update.
Is there any way to tell if your fans are working?
I think there are two fans. Probably one sucking in and one blowing out.
Could there be a fan problem?
That's the only thing I can think of.
Mine sat here beside me and updated and rebooted twice during the process I believe.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Why do you think it overheated?

Sounds like it crashed and froze during the first reboot. If it was running the processors but unable to run the fans or shut down because it wasn't booted and was stuck on a blue screen until forced to power down, that could have cause it to overheat.

Is there any way to tell if your fans are working?
I think there are two fans. Probably one sucking in and one blowing out.
Could there be a fan problem?

Run something intense like a bench mark or a game. That should get the fans going. Feel for air along the edges or listen carefully.

There are two fans. They actually change direction depending on the Pro's orientation so that the outgoing hot air vents away from where you hold it in either orientation (out the top in landscape and along the short edges in portrait).