What's new

Just got a Surface RT 32GB

stormchaser

I just got a Surface RT 32GB last Sunday, I have always liked what they looked like and found this one on Chicago Craigslist for $35.00 so figured out why not. I have never really been a big Microsoft fan especially since windows vista, and mainly use Mac for most of my computer work. I am a severe weather stormchaser and involved with emergency management as well as disaster recovery and most of the weather apps only work on a windows based platform. I have a windows 10 laptop and when my android tablet decided to self destruct....I found this on the craigslist ads and said well for $35.00 why not give it a try..... so far it is a pleasure to use, has awesome battery life and pretty much does what I need it to do. The only thing that I have an issue with is the touch keyboard, and I am sure that after using it for a while longer I will get used to it. I would prefer a regular type keyboard with keys that actually move so you know you have activated the letter you are trying to type but it is getting easier to use as time goes on. I am in the Chicago metro area and have only been in this area for around 7 years, originally from the dallas fort worth area.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
welcome to the forum stormchaser. Nice to see that people are still finding use for these things. They might not be perfect, but I don't think I'd have been able to refuse at just $35. Cost me $12 last night for a some pretty shoddy battered sausage, scampi and chips last night from the local chippy. Should have saved the money :D

OP
S

stormchaser

it seems like they are still quite useful, might not be the latest thing out but if it works and does what I need it to do, its good enough for me. I have a MacBook pro I do not like taking out of the house since I do not want it walking away when I am in the coffee shop, and this surface rt is much lighter to carry around when I go out instead of my dell e4310 laptop running windows 10 pro. have to see if I can figure out a way to upload pictures to it from my camera but if not its not a big deal, looks like I can upload them to one drive and access them from there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I imagine the camera has an SD card (not micro SD). My dad's camera wouldn't work on USB for some reason so I got him a USB SD card reader, he just takes the card out of the camera and puts it into the reader.

You might find a cheap type cover somewhere ... there are plenty of people with broken screens sitting on a type cover they cant use so you might try advertising for one... but what would you be willing to pay given it only cost you 35 for the RT?

OP
S

stormchaser

I have one of the usb card readers, might give that a try later. not huge issue if it doesn't work since I use either my MacBook pro or dell e4310 for photo editing, but might be nice to have a few pictures on the surface too.