What's new

Just got an SP 4 - flawless fantastic computer

City_Guy

Greetings

Just wanted to say hi after lurking for a while. I was going to buy a surface book, but decided on the surface pro 4 i5 128 GB with 4 GB ram.

Three days ago purchased a SP 4 at the MS store, brought it home, plugged it in, logged on using my MS account, and over the course of several hours it installed all the updates including WIN 10 AU, and it has worked perfectly.

After reading about all the problems surface owners experienced, I was concerned. But this computer is fantastic in every way and definitely exceeded my expectations.

One question, any recommendations for a shoulder bag for carrying it around?

Thanks in advance

coolowl

Glad you like it. Me too. Got mine in February and love the lightweight but even more love the fact that it's silent. No whirring loud fan. Used to have a problem with it re-awakening after the type-cover had been closed but that's been fixed. Great machine. I too was so pleased when all my "software" installed and worked perfectly. Software in quotes because I guess only old-timers like me even know what that term means anymore. Ha. Yes, programs used to come on disks and you had to physically install them. :)

Pwscott

Very happy here too after two weeks with my SP4 i7, 16GB, 512GB machine. Went on a bit of an accessory buying spree and very happy. The dock is especially awesome with several drives connected @ USB 3.0

Votality

Greetings

Just wanted to say hi after lurking for a while. I was going to buy a surface book, but decided on the surface pro 4 i5 128 GB with 4 GB ram.

Three days ago purchased a SP 4 at the MS store, brought it home, plugged it in, logged on using my MS account, and over the course of several hours it installed all the updates including WIN 10 AU, and it has worked perfectly.

After reading about all the problems surface owners experienced, I was concerned. But this computer is fantastic in every way and definitely exceeded my expectations.

One question, any recommendations for a shoulder bag for carrying it around?

Thanks in advance

Sooner or late your will realise win 10 and its updates for the sp4 have been less than flawless. Also there have been a few hardware quibbles..

But nether-less i still think my sp4 is the best windows machine i have ever owned. The ability to take it anywhere, use it as a tablet with touch, pen and as a desktop and quick ssd. Make it a great machine. Certainly a lot more productive than my idevice.

As for case i have a stm sp4 case (https://www.stmbags.com/index.php/microsoft-surface-pro-4) as they are readily available in jb in .au. I then have a neoprene laptop bag with soft internal lining. (The waterproof neoprene is great. My 3 year old has spilt a drink on the bag a few times)

Despite the case rating I wouldn't consider it drop proof however. Maybe off a coffee table. I doubt it would survive a drop from under your arm height...

Last edited:

dmillerzx

Just bought one also, upgrading from an SP3 i5 8GB. Debating keeping it; while the fan might not be as loud as the SP3 nor does the chassis get nearly as hot, the fan does run a great deal of the time on the Sp4. Should have probably gone with the M3 as the fan noise seems to be the biggest drawback to the Sp4 for me. Additionally nearly every time I enter connected standby the SP4 shuts down -_-

Last edited:
OP
C

City_Guy

Just bought one also, upgrading from an SP3 i5 8GB. Debating keeping it; while the fan might not be as loud as the SP3 nor does the chassis get nearly as hot, the fan does run a great deal of the time on the Sp4. Should have probably gone with the M3 as the fan noise seems to be the biggest drawback to the Sp4 for me. Additionally nearly every time I enter connected standby the SP4 shuts down -_-
Greetings,

I just commented to the wife, that we have yet to hear any fan noise whatsoever. Although have not done any processor intensive work yet. But it appears to be a very well made and designed unit.

Have you installed all the updates? perhaps that would help with the fan noise.

City Guy

Votality

Greetings,

I just commented to the wife, that we have yet to hear any fan noise whatsoever. Although have not done any processor intensive work yet. But it appears to be a very well made and designed unit.

Have you installed all the updates? perhaps that would help with the fan noise.

City Guy

Me too, even under load the fan noise isn't terrible on mine.. (Remind me of this post in summer) lol..

dmillerzx

The fan is certainly more prone to running while plugged into AC. A good example that will set mine into a roar is connecting to a Microsoft wireless display adapter and streaming SD video while web browsing. Granted ambient temp in my house is like 77 degrees -_- so that doesn't help.