What's new

Just had a really good Customer Support experience

Just got off chat with a Surface Support guy named Will. I came home from college today with my SP2, including the charger because I'd been editing film all day and used the extra power. When I connected it again at home, no light came on, and the charger wouldn't work.

Now, I have a 15hr photography A2 exam on Friday, so as you can imagine this scared me shitless as my SP2 is instrumental to my exam plan. But thankfully, this guy totally understood my situation and immediately dispatched a replacement charger to me to arrive for Thursday.

Even better, my charger suddenly worked again when I gave the back end (plug going into the brick) a bit of a push. I explained this to Will and turns out it might just a be a bit of a loose wire. So I have a still working SP2 with a functional charger, and a back-up on the way just in case.

Just thought I'd share this as I was really honestly quite surprised at how helpful Support was over the messenger chat. Really understanding and helpful, just what I'd want in a support exchange.

Anyone else had any good experiences?

Twiggy.

jefhart

I was experiencing severe artifacts on my external monitor awhile after I bought mine. They tried to troubleshoot to see if it was the device, the dock or the adapter. After two days of going back and forth with the support website I got fed up, called customer support and told them I wanted a new unit so they sent one out that night. It ended up being the connection between the adapter and the monitor :( So it wasn't a great experience for me exactly but I was surprised they just sent me a new unit without any evidence the device itself was faulty. The rep I talked to was incredibly helpful and friendly.

Last edited:

kundas1

that's good to hear for a change... normally people post what an awful experience this and that was around here...we need more posts like this one.

fonzman78

Just got off chat with a Surface Support guy named Will. I came home from college today with my SP2, including the charger because I'd been editing film all day and used the extra power. When I connected it again at home, no light came on, and the charger wouldn't work.

Now, I have a 15hr photography A2 exam on Friday, so as you can imagine this scared me shitless as my SP2 is instrumental to my exam plan. But thankfully, this guy totally understood my situation and immediately dispatched a replacement charger to me to arrive for Thursday.

Even better, my charger suddenly worked again when I gave the back end (plug going into the brick) a bit of a push. I explained this to Will and turns out it might just a be a bit of a loose wire. So I have a still working SP2 with a functional charger, and a back-up on the way just in case.

Just thought I'd share this as I was really honestly quite surprised at how helpful Support was over the messenger chat. Really understanding and helpful, just what I'd want in a support exchange.

Anyone else had any good experiences?

Twiggy.

I had the same experience last week. For whatever reason, my SPro2 charger stopped working. The light did not come on and I couldn't charge it. I was traveling to Montana this week so I needed to get it replaced. I went to BestBuy to get a replacement since it was closer to my home but then I figured why not drive the extra 15 miles to the MS store and see if they would replace it. Long story short, I went in, showed them the problem, they tested my charger on an SP unit there, saw that it worked, and simply replaced the charger.

Knock on wood, I've had nothing but good experiences with MS.

oion

I've been lucky in that I haven't needed to contact MS for support, for either my original RT unit or my S2.

Tech support is an awful field; besides the horrible rolling hours and generally low pay, there are so many possible variables involved in troubleshooting complex setups (e.g. dock-device-keyboard-monitor-cables-etc.) that without duplicates of each object, you can't really test things very well. Not to mention the common difference in tech savvy between the support tech and a user. I don't envy that job.

As is true for any fan-support forum like this, though, the ratio of "problem" posts versus "good" posts will always be off-kilter compared to the population at large. It's like going into a doctor's waiting room full of sick people and thinking "Everyone is sick! It's a pandemic!" when there's actually a severe bias. Generally people just don't post about good experiences. When something works, we'd rather just move on and enjoy our time/toy, as I have been. ;) Glad to hear you did have a nice experience, OP.

CrippsCorner

It's like going into a doctor's waiting room full of sick people and thinking "Everyone is sick! It's a pandemic!" when there's actually a severe bias.

Love this example! I shall be using that in future
biggrin.png

OP
T

TwiggyShip

Glad to hear others have had similar experiences.

I agree, posts such as the one I made are rare around these parts due to the majority of Surface owners being in love with their functional devices. If an outsider were to come here it would be easy to get the wrong impression that the Surface line of products is highly faulty and inferior, but really that's just because all the error posts on here are from a vocal minority looking to solve their problems :)

Getting a bit fidgety though. My current charger has been a bit more on the blink but it seems to be managing to hold out for now. Just waiting for MS to dispatch it, doubt it's gonna get here for Friday though so I'm just going to have to make do for the first 5 hours of my exam I think :/

Ah well, at least it's coming soon :)

CrippsCorner

Glad to hear others have had similar experiences.

I agree, posts such as the one I made are rare around these parts due to the majority of Surface owners being in love with their functional devices. If an outsider were to come here it would be easy to get the wrong impression that the Surface line of products is highly faulty and inferior, but really that's just because all the error posts on here are from a vocal minority looking to solve their problems :)

You could say that about any 'support' forum though!

OP
T

TwiggyShip

Charger arrived this afternoon! Very impressed. Didn't ever get a dispatch email but that's no problem. Surface is now fully functional once more and I can stop stressing about it being ready for my exam tomorrow :)

@kayzee - very true! Just thought it might be nice to throw in a good word for the guy though, he was brilliant.