What's new

Just purchased a Surface 2... My thoughts

kundas1

Kundas1, the games aren't really running on the Surface when you use Splashtop. They are still running on the macbook. In fact I tried to be a smarty and run FaceTime. But instead of me looking at my Surface, all I could see was the camera pointing toward empty wall my macbook was facing. Heh.

well I have tried several times to run games through splashtop and it never worked... really interested in hearing how you got it to work....

EddySnoozah

Yeah - I thought long and hard about what I actually wanted a tablet for and decided that the Surface RT would pretty much do everything that I wanted - and I was right. Had the original Surface RT for a little while but found it a bit slow and sluggish so I returned it and bought a Surface 2 RT. The ability to use IE, Word and Excel on the go and to be able to plug a USB stick in is just sheer bliss (my Surface 2 has recognised and been able to copy files to/from most digital cameras and Android phones that I have plugged into the USB port).

You may be lucky that they sent you a Type Cover instead of a Touch Cover. I bought a Touch Cover because I was bit overly focused on the thinness of it. However, I started getting strange problems with the touch screen 'phantom touches' which also affected a number of other users (see http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-2/8499-problem-my-surface-2-a.html). So, I bought a Type Cover 2 and all of those problems have disappeared, not only that but the Type Cover 2 is for me much easier to type on (as can no doubt be seen from the length of this post) and I can touch type on this nearly as fast as on a standard-sized PC keyboard. The touchpad on the Type Cover 2 could be better: - keeping the left-hand part of the keypad held down while highlighting blocks of text or areas of the screen is problematic for me so I tend to use a Logitech mini mouse most of the time. A minor issue with both Covers is that they flex or bend a bit when I use them on my lap and the cursor can jump about when I am typing - if I use it when sitting at a table, then there is no problem with this at all.

The only things that I miss are FF and Chrome - but IE works fine so it's not a big deal. My VPN provider doesn't offer an RT-based app, - it would be nice to have one but I can survive without it. Might also be nice to have VLC, but the speakers aren't so great on this and so I don't tend to watch much video on it. The Kindle app works fine for me, but the EverNote RT app is not as easy to use or friendly as the Windows 7 program that I have on my PC.

One thing is that it has kind of changed my life in a small way. It's so light and comfortable on my lap and the battery life is so good that I now tend to watch TV with it on my lap pretty much all the time - it's much easier to do this with my Surface 2 than a lap top. Unless I am watching something absolutely fascinating or riveting on TV, then I tend to have my Surface 2 on my knee and keep an eye on things like FACEBOOK and email at the same time as watching the TV - it's probably not doing my ability to concentrate and pay attention much good. Another plus point is that I find that the touch screen and Type Cover work together really well. It has now become second nature for me to use both at the same time. When working with it I simply raise a finger or two to select or resize things on the screen as I write. In fact, when I am at work and using my old-fashioned non-touch Dell laptop I often find myself tapping at the screen and trying to do things with my fingers. I've never really been into serious gaming but the Solitaire, Tap Tiles and Mahjong apps on here are great for keeping myself occupied in long queues, airport lounges etc.

A friend is going to buy a Surface Pro 3 for me and bring it back from the States in a couple of weeks time. I am a bit of a gadget freak and I really fancy the look of the Surface Pro 3. One thing that will be interesting to see is how the larger screen works out. Even though I can easily make things on the screen bigger on my Surface 2 it still happens that I often end up squinting at it and straining my eyes so I am looking forward to having a 12 inch screen. Having said that, unless the battery life on the Surface Pro 3 is considerably better than I anticipate then there will be no way that I will consider getting rid of my Surface 2 RT, it comes into its own on long-haul trips and weekends away etc.

I hope MS continue to support and develop the Surface RT line. If they keep on making it thinner and increasing the battery life then I can see myself buying another model a couple of years down the line. The main improvements that I would like to see are - a better touchpad, a second USB port, better speakers and keep on increasing the battery life. I haven't heard or seen any rumours from Microsoft as to whether they are going to continue to support the Surface RT line.

Last edited:
I am a bit of a gadget freak and I really fancy the look of the Surface Pro 3.

Me too! I am in love with the look of the SP3! But as I have had the RT for a year, and had the use of a loaner SP2 for three months, I KNOW exactly how I use these tablets, and the SP3 is way too much computer for my needs. (But I want it anyway.)

I bought a 1000 dollar desktop in February. I have a 1.5 year old Macbook Pro issued from work. I don't need a 1200.00 SP3 too. I keep telling myself that and I know it's true.

The size thing is attractive, but I tell myself it's a downside as well. My RT actually fits in my tiny purse!

From what you and Krystal Soldier have said, the Surface 2 seems to be a worthy upgrade, so my practical side will probably win and I'll get that. I wish I could get a good price for a new one on ebay, but with Microsoft and Best Buy both selling them on there, the prices are kept pretty close to retail.

kristalsoldier

Me too! I am in love with the look of the SP3! But as I have had the RT for a year, and had the use of a loaner SP2 for three months, I KNOW exactly how I use these tablets, and the SP3 is way too much computer for my needs. (But I want it anyway.)

I bought a 1000 dollar desktop in February. I have a 1.5 year old Macbook Pro issued from work. I don't need a 1200.00 SP3 too. I keep telling myself that and I know it's true.

The size thing is attractive, but I tell myself it's a downside as well. My RT actually fits in my tiny purse!

From what you and Krystal Soldier have said, the Surface 2 seems to be a worthy upgrade, so my practical side will probably win and I'll get that. I wish I could get a good price for a new one on ebay, but with Microsoft and Best Buy both selling them on there, the prices are kept pretty close to retail.

I still think you should opt for the SP3 and get a slightly larger bag/ purse! :LOL:

mcostan

The last update fixed the sound issue I was having. Plus I found some instructions on how to add a power icon to the start screen. I also added a shortcut to disconnect Bluetooth speakers, for some reason you can't do this on the Bluetooth device control.

I'm still loving this thing!

TheNeighbor

Got my Surface 2 almost 3 weeks now. USB connected portable DVD drives work too but you'll need additional power for the drive to run.

I wanted a Surface 2 since it came out. Only managed to get one via the Japan market after 8 months of waiting. Totally great for my writing needs with Office. Fantastic battery for my media. Not considered the SP3 since I still have my Alienware laptop from last year for my 3D rendering.