What's new

just purchased SP and power keyboard

rushdown

Went to best buy and bought a surface pro 128 gb for 599.99 and also got a power keyboard.

I attached the power keyboard to the pro but it isn't working. Please help? By it not working I mean that I'm pressing buttons and nothing is happening.

Metalman

Went to best buy and bought a surface pro 128 gb for 599.99 and also got a power keyboard.

I attached the power keyboard to the pro but it isn't working. Please help? By it not working I mean that I'm pressing buttons and nothing is happening.
Did you remove the paper from the keyboard where it plugs into your surface? The one that says to not charge with the power cord.

olimjj

Connect your keyboard to your SP. Do not turn it on. Connect your charge chord to the SP and charge SP and Keyboard overnight. Must be at full charge to update

Last edited:
OP
R

rushdown

I am in a chat with Microsoft Support to see if my power cover will work. My Power Cover is still not being recognized.

Things I have tried so far:

-I have updated Microsoft and installed all the latest Microsoft updates.
-I plugged in a friend's keyboard cover (not power keyboard) and his worked just fine on my SP
-I went back to Best Buy and they tried another power keyboard on my SP and it didn't work either. They also tried to hook it up to a display model and both mine and their power keyboard didn't work. (Probably Best Buy got a bad shipment? )
-I have charged my Surface Pro to 100% and the other icon that is supposed to appear that shows how much power the power cover has, still hasn't appeared
-Everything in this website, I have tried: https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...d-drivers/troubleshoot-power-cover#recognized
-I went to Download Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 firmware and driver packs from Official Microsoft Download Center and downloaded the march update "March2014SurfacePro.zip" and i extracted this file and went to March2014SurfacePro\8.1\Microsoft\SurfacePowerCoverFwUpdate and i right clicked on "SurfacePowerCoverFwUpdate" and clicked "install". I received a message that this installed correctly then I rebooted the surface. I also installed all the .inf files in the 3 folders inside of March2014SurfacePro\8.1\Microsoft\FW and rebooted

I will keep the forum informed if I hear anything useful from Microsoft Support.

UPDATE:
Ha, microsoft support does not know what's going on and is willing to send me a new power cover. I told them that I'm just going to best buy to try to get an exchange done.

Last edited:

olimjj

I purchased my power keyboard directly from the Microsoft Store, when it first became available (preorder). When I received it, I connected the keyboard to my SP, and without turning it on charged the combo over night. My SP alone was at full charge prior to the combination charge. The next day the keyboard was available for use, with the battery indicator noting the charge of both units (SP and Keyboard). I then queried for any available updates. NO problems to date. Did the staff at Best Buy give you directions on how to place it into Service? Conspiracy Theories aside, was the unit you received sealed? Did someone try to prepare your unit(with no mal intent) for use by erroneously connecting it directly to the charger via its keyboard connector?

OP
R

rushdown

I purchased my power keyboard directly from the Microsoft Store, when it first became available (preorder). When I received it, I connected the keyboard to my SP, and without turning it on charged the combo over night. My SP alone was at full charge prior to the combination charge. The next day the keyboard was available for use, with the battery indicator noting the charge of both units (SP and Keyboard). I then queried for any available updates. NO problems to date. Did the staff at Best Buy give you directions on how to place it into Service? Conspiracy Theories aside, was the unit you received sealed? Did someone try to prepare your unit(with no mal intent) for use by erroneously connecting it directly to the charger via its keyboard connector?

I went to Best Buy today and exchanged my power keyboard. Now, I have a working unit, thank god! This was annoying to say the least.

TeknoBlast

Spoke too soon, looks like my local Best Buy has them in stock and ready for me to pick up my online order. Too bad I didnt bring my Surface to work today. Oh well, going to sit in the corner charging all night anyways.