What's new

Just received my Surface Pro

Nander

Bundlebox is a service that provides people outside the US with a US mailing address so products only available in the US can be purchased. They give you a personal US address which the package is delivered to, then they forward the package on for you and arrange for import taxes to be paid.

I ordered from the US MS store first thing on Sat Morning, the Surface Pro reached the Bundlebox address on Tuesday. They emailed me within an hour of receipt so I could confirm the contents and pay for the forwarding delivery and import duties. They then sent the package that same day and I received it on Thursday morning at my home in the UK (and you can track the progress of the package throughout the journey).
It's a really excellent service.

What did you use as your billing address? The US MS Store demands a US billing address as well. Did you use the same as your shipping address? Don't they check that with the credit card company?

OP
A

Ashles

What did you use as your billing address? The US MS Store demands a US billing address as well. Did you use the same as your shipping address? Don't they check that with the credit card company?

I used the same as the shipping address. It seemed to work okay.

If that had failed apparently there are ways round this - Netpay and others that would provide a US billing address.

Nander

I used the same as the shipping address. It seemed to work okay.

If that had failed apparently there are ways round this - Netpay and others that would provide a US billing address.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a go using the shipping address as billing address as well!

EDIT: Received order confirmation for a 128 GB Surface by March 1st now, so it seems to have worked!

Last edited:

machistmo

I am loving my pro. I am loving the ability to use the SSL VPN at work. Just yesterday I remoted in from my kitchen table and assisted a DSM with a network issue. All that performance in a 2LB Package, what can I say, I am in love. I especially appreciated the ease with which I was allowed to trade up to this unit from surface RT. The people at The Streets @ South Point Durham Pop Up store were very nice and glad to help. I waited about 30 minutes last Saturday morning and would call the experience a pleasant one. I am also eagerly awaiting the Razer Gaming Tablet release announcement. I have a giant tax-refund check that needs to go somewhere. We let the Lenovo Thinnkpad2 tablet go home with our MS App Architect this weekend, its performance was underwhelming to say the least. I have to say about the Tablet2 though, that given it was only used for office apps and as a meeting room device, its not bad. Its just garbage for Video Playback of ANY kind.

itgoodson

Thank you so much for posting on this, it was just what I was looking for. Very helpful. I am seriously considering ordering this way, but I wonder if you could help with me a couple of things:

Could you give me a little breakdown of overall price for the Surface Pro, bundle box shipping fees and import taxes to the UK.

Also, did you look into how the warranty would be affected by being in the UK? Would you need to send it back to the US for any repairs under warranty for example?

Hopefully I'll be able to get in quick before they stop taking orders again! Thanks again

itgoodson

Well I've spent all day looking in to it, working out how much it would all cost in total - and just as I am about to complete the transaction on the Microsoft site I get hit with about £35 US sales tax. That was the final nail in the coffin - it just isn't worth it bearing in mind the warranty isn't valid in the UK. I'm so naive!

The Surface Pro with shipping and import VAT: £834
Bundlebox suite insurance: £10
Debit card overseas payment fee: £20
US Sales Tax: £35
TOTAL £899

And estimates for the release in the UK (whenever that happens) are between £849 and £899! I'lll just learn some patience.

itgoodson

I'm struggling with patience! With Microsoft's constant supply problems it could be months before it arrives over here. I'm guessing.

I think I can get the thing for roughly the same cost as it is likely to be in the UK. My concern is over warranty though. Do you have any further info on these legal challenges? When the Surface Pro is released in the UK what are the chances of Microsoft UK turning me down? I couldn't imagine Apple doing that. Their customer service has always impressed me.

darkwolf

That's about my main worry as well.

Has anybody asked Microsoft Customer Services? I mean, what if you buy it in the shop yourself and take it home?
If warranty is still valid I will most likely order it as soon as possible. :)

itgoodson

So annoying. I just decided I'd order through Bundlebox after all, I'm so fed up of waiting for MS to release in the UK. But I've tried 4 different credit cards and the MS website says there was a problem with each one! Anyone with any advice? Ashles said he just used the Bundlebox address. But it didn't work for me!