What's new

Just returned my SP3 i5...

raqball

I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack and I can tell just by looking at the Sp3 that it's not a serious gaming machine..

Look at the image comparison above posted by mitchellvii. That really says it all.

I can't see how anyone, after looking at the SP3, could still think it's a serious gaming machine.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
What it doesn't say in the MS description of the games it's capable of playing (unless I've missed it) is what resolution and frame rate it will play at.....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK people..... can the Surface Pro 3 play games? The answer is yes, many are doing it (my son does daily, Platform, RPG and FPS games). Are there limitations on the level of performance.... definitely....

With most highly mobile devices using an integrated graphics card you will need to lower the settings for decent performance.

Wiidesire

Why on earth are you considering an I5/I7 8GB, machine "Just" a tablet? MS never says it is just a tablet, and no other literature assumes this is just a tablet. It is marketed as the tablet that can replace your PC.

MS touts this as a direct competitor to the MacBook Air and similarly spec'd systems. Make no mistake, this is an ultrabook first and a tablet second.

MS did market this "very" incorrectly as a gaming device.

1) It is marketed as the tablet that can replace your laptop.
2) MacBook Air & iPad and many Ultrabooks do also throttle like the SP3
3)Where did they say it is a gaming device? There is only this one webpage, nothing more. And even there they only mention light games. They don't mention it in the commercials...

megatronium

Sooooooooo I'm not going to be able to play this at quadHD and a ROCK SOLID 60fps?????!?!?!?!?!???

Project-Cars-5.jpg

THE SP3 IS JUNK!!!!!! I bet it doesn't even TERAFLOP!!!!

dman27

1) It is marketed as the tablet that can replace your laptop.
2) MacBook Air & iPad and many Ultrabooks do also throttle like the SP3
3)Where did they say it is a gaming device? There is only this one webpage, nothing more. And even there they only mention light games. They don't mention it in the commercials...

1. It is marketed as a Tablet/PC Hybrid. A PC in a Tablet form factor.
2. Yes, throttling happens and is on many ultra books. Consider the I5 -1.9ghz SP3 gets beat pretty badly in performance tests by a lowly I5-1.4GHz 2014 MacBook air. Sure the SP3 is MUCH thinner, but the throttling is severe to achieve this thinnest.
3. A. http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/why-surface/for-gaming
B. http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/products/surface-pro-3?ocid=SURFCOM_O_MSCOM_NULL&wt.mc_id=SURFCOM_O_MSCOM_NULL#scroll-12. (Halfway down)

You are fooling yourself if MS didn't market this as a great gaming machine because of the I5 and I7 options. This completely overlooked the graphics, throttling and heat aspects of such a thin device.

Last edited:

dman27

Sooooooooo I'm not going to be able to play this at quadHD and a ROCK SOLID 60fps?????!?!?!?!?!???

Project-Cars-5.jpg

THE SP3 IS JUNK!!!!!! I bet it doesn't even TERAFLOP!!!!

Beautiful car, Too bad it throttles down to Toyota Camry speeds halfway around the track.

raqball

You are fooling yourself if MS didn't market this as a great gaming machine because of the I5 and I7 options. This completely overlooked the graphics, throttling and heat aspects of such a thin device.

Seriously.. Did you honestly think the SP3 was a gaming machine???

megatronium

Beautiful car, Too bad it throttles down to Toyota Camry speeds halfway around the track.

For what I use it for, I haven't had that experience. It's unfortunate for those that it does. MS should be chided for their exploitive marketing and the people who bought in should return it and get a razer blade pro. Problem solved and everyone can move on with life.