What's new

Keyboard drivers

absresin

Got my SP3 i7 256 last Monday. Forum has answered several of my questions already. Saw a yellow triangle next to my Microsoft keyboard cover in device manager. Troubleshoot said to update drivers. Got message that no divers installed, searched for drivers and message said no drivers available. Are there supposed to be drivers for this keyboard case from Microsoft? Cost me about $100. Keyboard does work except it won't enter my password on Start screen. I do turn off my SP3 every time I shut down. Once I get it set up will use it only for travel until my desktop dies then it will be my main pc.

kundas1

you might have to updates to do concerning your keyboard, go check your updates in the control panel, also what is the exact model? try to download the drivers manually and install them, that should clear the problem, but normally windows keyboards/mouse install their drivers automatically

OP
A

absresin

you might have to updates to do concerning your keyboard, go check your updates in the control panel, also what is the exact model? try to download the drivers manually and install them, that should clear the problem, but normally windows keyboards/mouse install their drivers automatically
it is the surface cover keyboard. Cost $117 on amazon, a Microsoft product. I'm updated and when I tried to install got message "no drivers available" So you're saying there are drivers if I can find them someplace. Evidently Microsoft doesn't offer them. Thanks for taking time to reply.

kundas1

ok I wasn't sure if you were talking about a generic MS Bluetooth/USB keyboard or the type cover... it should install and work on it's own.. what you can do is uninstall the keyboard in the control panel under keyboards and then disconnect the keyboard and then restart the SP3, then when the SP3 is rebooted re-attach the KB and let it install again to see if it clears all the cob webs... should work again

OP
A

absresin

ok I wasn't sure if you were talking about a generic MS Bluetooth/USB keyboard or the type cover... it should install and work on it's own.. what you can do is uninstall the keyboard in the control panel under keyboards and then disconnect the keyboard and then restart the SP3, then when the SP3 is rebooted re-attach the KB and let it install again to see if it clears all the cob webs... should work again
still says no divers available plus says it's an older type and may not work with USB 3, maybe i got sent an old one. It still types, just seems strange no drivers. I did what you suggested above too. Thanks again

Grumpy2

it is the surface cover keyboard. Cost $117 on amazon, a Microsoft product. I'm updated and when I tried to install got message "no drivers available" So you're saying there are drivers if I can find them someplace. Evidently Microsoft doesn't offer them. Thanks for taking time to reply.
You say it is the surface cover. Is it the surface type cover for the Sp3 or is it a surface cover for the surface 1 or 2. The covers for surface pro 1 and 2 will work with the Sp3 but they do not fit the same and will not put the Sp3 to sleep. It sounds to me that you have a cover for the sp1 or sp2.
You need the type cover specifically designed for the Sp3

OP
A

absresin

You say it is the surface cover. Is it the surface type cover for the Sp3 or is it a surface cover for the surface 1 or 2. The covers for surface pro 1 and 2 will work with the Sp3 but they do not fit the same and will not put the Sp3 to sleep. It sounds to me that you have a cover for the sp1 or sp2.
Amazon says compatable with SP3 when I ordered it. I does put SP3 to sleep when I choose not to shut dowm completely. thansk for info

OP
A

absresin

checked the box it came in-says Surface Cover, on back says compatable with Surface Pro 3

kundas1

still says no divers available plus says it's an older type and may not work with USB 3, maybe i got sent an old one. It still types, just seems strange no drivers. I did what you suggested above too. Thanks again

ok you have me very confused... there is no USB3 on it nor does it need any USB if it is the TYPE COVER KB for it to work... also if it IS the type cover 2 and not the 3 then it will not work properly...it will still function but not correctly.. does the keyboard fill ALL THE SCREEN when closed?

OP
A

absresin

ok you have me very confused... there is no USB3 on it nor does it need any USB if it is the TYPE COVER KB for it to work... also if it IS the type cover 2 and not the 3 then it will not work properly...it will still function but not correctly.. does the keyboard fill ALL THE SCREEN when closed?
The Suiface Pro 3 said about the USB 3, the cover does cover the whole tablet. It is the right cover according to the box it is the Surface Cover on back of box it says compatible with Surface Pro 3. It puts the tablet to sleep when closed on it. I'm just curious why the yellow triangle in device manager that tells me I need a driver then tells me none are available. The keyboard does work so guess I should just shut up lol. thansk so much

nipponham

I think we might have the same problem. Although I'm not getting any driver errors, I do get the same "USB is an old type and may not work with USB3. Try USB2 port instead". See my thread on this. A couple of board members tested this out for me and confirmed that they are not getting that warning message. My type cover works off and on and I'm thinking this has something to do with it.

rodmartinelli

Hi . I have experiencing some trouble to setup my surface cover keyboard. It is a new device and has never worked. It appears in device manager as HID Keyboard but not Surface Cover . Tried to uninstall drivers and reinstall but still unsucessful. Tried to "reset" drivers by holding Volume up + Power button for 10 seconds but it has just took me to bios menu. Does anyone knows if there is a different way to reset drivers or to change HID Keyboard driver to Surface proper driver? Thanks.