What's new

Keyboards with/without fingerprint sensor

wpcoe

The (official Microsoft) keyboard for the Surface 2017 doesn't appear have a fingerprint sensor, and that there are SP4 keyboards with and without the sensor. I've never had a laptop with a fingerprint sensor, but find the one on my iPhone to be quite handy and suspect I'd use it on the Surface Pro, as well.

What's the story behind why the new Surface Pro keyboards don't have the sensor? Did it turn out to be unreliable/problematic?

I'm very close to ordering a Surface Pro 2017 but ordering the "old" black SP4 keyboard just to get the fingerprint sensor.

msolok

The Surface line now comes with Infared Cameras for Facial Recognition (and it has since the Surface Pro 4 was released). Windows hello paired with this is very secure and ery quick to log in. There is not really any need for a finger print reader as well.

The Finger Print Reader on one of the Pro 4 Type Covers (as only a black had the finger print reader, none of the others did) was relly meant to be sued with the Surface Pro 3 which didn't have a Windows Hello log in method built in. It wasn't really intended for use with the Pro 4.

OP
W

wpcoe

Ah, I see. I've read several reviews that had problems with face recognition on the Surface Pro. Haven't heard as many reports with cell phones with fingerprint sensors.

Oh, well. As always, Mother Microsoft knows what's best for us, I guess?

msolok

I've read several reviews that had problems with face recognition on the Surface Pro.

What sort of problems? I have found it to perfect and quick almost all the time on the Surface Pro 4, the Surface Pro and the Surface Laptop. It does occasionally not work (in situations with funky lighting) but a quick trip into the settings and using the 'improve recognition' option sorts it. To be honest I find it far more reliable than the finger print readers on phones.

OP
W

wpcoe

Off the top of my head I remember Lisa Gade's review:

(start around 3:00) but I've read comments, possibly on this forum about people with problems. ISTR that a few folks had problem with having to repeatedly re-teach Windows Hello to recognize their face.

Mikey94025

I've had zero problems with Windows Hello recognizing my face on my Surface Book or my new SP. It's very convenient and works with/without my glasses.

OP
W

wpcoe

Quick question about Windows Hello facial recognition:

If you turn on the computer and walk away, when you return does the computer then log you in automatically? i.e. Does it keep waiting for you to show up, or is it a one-time event for which you need to be present when the log-in screen appears?

Mikey94025

If you turn on the computer and walk away, when you return does the computer then log you in automatically? i.e. Does it keep waiting for you to show up, or is it a one-time event for which you need to be present when the log-in screen appears?

I leave my Surface Book on all the time, sitting on my kitchen counter. I have to click on the screen to unlock it when I return and I recall it recognizing my face when I do so. Under sign-in options I have "Automatically dismiss the lock screen if we recognize your face" unchecked. It sounds like you could enable this if you want it to keep waiting for you to show up and automatically unlock.

It also has "If you've been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?" set to Every Time, so face recognition is required to unlock. I can't change this option, it says in red: "Your PC's power settings are preventing some options from being shown". This option is apparently uneditable when Windows Hello is enabled.