What's new

Kickstand loose and rattling

nipponham

Mine makes a clack when i lift it up and put it down. At any angle. Microsoft confirmed that it was not normal. Yet for some reason user sfter user keeps telling me that despite this advice from microsoft, it is actually acting normally...
What was shown in the OP's video was the kickstand being manually manipulated. There was nothing about a rattle when the machine was being picked up and put down.

If indeed the machine rattles when you pick it up, then I would say this is not normal. If what you're talking about is what's in the video, then it is. In either case, if you're not happy and you have the opportunity to return it, do so. And keep doing it until you get the satisfaction you want. And if that level of satisfaction is never met, then perhaps Microsoft/SP3 products are not for you.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What was shown in the OP's video was the kickstand being manually manipulated. There was nothing about a rattle when the machine was being picked up and put down.

If indeed the machine rattles when you pick it up, then I would say this is not normal. If what you're talking about is what's in the video, then it is. In either case, if you're not happy and you have the opportunity to return it, do so. And keep doing it until you get the satisfaction you want. And if that level of satisfaction is never met, then perhaps Microsoft/SP3 products are not for you.

Mine does exactly as it does in the video, and it clacks when lifted off a surface or placed down. I recorded a video for microsoft, much like that, and well, audio doesnt always transfer accurately to video. But as i say, microsoft have stated its not working as designed simply because of the movement on the hinge.

And i plan to return mine, i cant upload a photo, but my kickstand is now pretty screwed, the sticky tape they use to keep it flat has failed on mine, but i cannot presently justify even an hour or two away from mine, so plan to look at returning it for replacement come january.

OP
M

mwilson

I thought it was pretty obvious that it would do the same if the unit is flipped so that the kickstand is below. It just would have been a bit more difficult to record it that way.

Liam2349

I thought it was pretty obvious that it would do the same if the unit is flipped so that the kickstand is below. It just would have been a bit more difficult to record it that way.

The point was that you manually rattled it, not the orientation of the device.

I think it would be good to see a video of the rattling when picking it up and putting it down, as I wouldn't call that video a problem.

Tatletz

Mine also wonbbles bit at every angle like in the first video and makes this crackling noise at some angles. Nothing like the one seen in the second video though. Otherwise it holds the devise firmly at any given angle.

Alexander

My surface is a bit jiggly at certain angles. My roommate has one that is solid though.

Quality control on the surface line is very bad in my experience. I went through 3 different surface 2's and my roommate has gone through 4 sp3's. So if it is just a minor imperfection keep it or else you might get back something worse.