What's new

kickstand: S3 vs SP3

RémiM

I got my S3 couple days ago, after almost 1 year using an i5 SP3 24-7 (work and personal use).

I really liked the kickstand on my SP3, but I have always been worried of opening it completely. It was making noises, it was wobbling, sometimes cracking, and to be honest, I was afraid to damage it. As a consequence, I never used it the way I wanted, i.e. widely open on my lap, or on a table to use OneNote. I know it sounds stupid, but I have never felt 100% confident about the durability of the kickstand.

Different story with the S3. The kickstand feels more durable, more solid, and the 3 positions are more than enough to make me happy. I am not worried to use it the way I want, and I really like it better than the one on the SP3.

Overall, I really like this little Surface ;) Good job MS.

Telstar1948

That S3 sounds cool! I've had two SP3's. An SSD failed so I had to exchange it. As I used my first SP3 the kickstand gradually got more and more loose. Toward the last, if you opened the kickstand about 2/3's of the way and set it on a hard surface, it would slowly open the rest of the way until the max position simply from the weight of the SP3 and nothing else. I have had my second SP3 about four months now, and it hasn't developed the looseness to the extreme the first one did. If you have the kickstand open a little, you can wiggle it with your hand a little, but that seems to be some slight play in the hinges before the friction kicks in. It may get as loose as the first one by late in the year...who knows? Maybe not.

I do believe the construction of the S3 kickstand hinges is different in some respects than the kickstand hinges on the SP3. Good luck...enjoy your S3!

OP
RémiM

RémiM

I had a few quality problems with my SP3 too.

The first one had a mark inside the screen. Probably from the manufacturing process. Got it exchanged through the advanced program. The replacement they sent to me had a popped out screen. I was able to insert my credit card in between the screen and the frame. Extremely annoying. Where I live in Canada, there is no MS store. So, when I went to Toronto for work I stopped at the MS store, and got it exchanged there. The third device was OK.

I believe that MS has quality control issues. What is unacceptable is that they send you a broken replacement device.

I don't know if they manufacture the S3 in the same places/factories/countries, but to me the overall quality seems much better.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I much much prefer the SP3 kickstand. While i like that the S3 has a simple and quick 3 position setup, it only works for me in various situations. Other than an issue with the sticky tape on my SP3 kickstand, it always performed just great regardless of angle. I just prefer it in that there will always be the perfect position. I do not have to cross my legs in a certain way etc for the best viewing angle. On the SP3 i can sit, lie, be however i like, and the kickstand will accomodate me.

malberttoo

They DO have quality control issues. Maybe they're using the lowest bidder to assemble them, who knows. Hopefully things will improve going forward.

lookingforward

I never owned a SP3, but I haven't found the S3 kickstand to be lacking. I enjoy the 3 positions and they all feel quite sturdy. It does make sense that a continuous hinge design would loosen over time. So in that case, I prefer fixed hinge positions.

netuser

I find 3 positions lacking since there is no shallow angle for touch screen typing, but it wasn't a deal breaker. It would have been better if there was one lower angle or else a kickstand that moves to any position just like the Surface Pro 3.

Telstar1948

I find 3 positions lacking since there is no shallow angle for touch screen typing, but it wasn't a deal breaker. It would have been better if there was one lower angle or else a kickstand that moves to any position just like the Surface Pro 3.

Have you tried the "4th kickstand position" that Jeff Roach talked about?